Keyword

Add tags to articles en-mass in a bulk job?

• Ruth Cheesley
  • Ruth Cheesley's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 8 months ago #93840 by Ruth Cheesley
Add tags to articles en-mass in a bulk job? was created by Ruth Cheesley
Hi all,

Is it possible without going into MySQL commands, to bulk-add tags to a load of articles?

I'm bringing in about 5k articles from another site, and if they're in a particular category I want to apply certain tags to them.  Any suggestions?

Ruth

Ruth Cheesley
Virya Technologies

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #93841 by Olivier Karfis
Replied by Olivier Karfis on topic Add tags to articles en-mass in a bulk job?
Hi.

Not right now, this has to be done at the MySQL level but this functionality has been a popular feature request.

--Olivier

Owner of www.FrenchToday.com - K2 fan and freelancer, runs the Joomla/K2 tip site: www.yanaku.com

More
13 years 8 months ago #93842 by Next Wave, Inc.
Replied by Next Wave, Inc. on topic Add tags to articles en-mass in a bulk job?
Mr. Neuman's Import/Export tool should handle this.  I just did a similar thing with a few dozen articles to which I added Item images.

• Ruth Cheesley
More
13 years 8 months ago #93843 by Ruth Cheesley
Replied by Ruth Cheesley on topic Add tags to articles en-mass in a bulk job?
Ken,

Could you elaborate?  Do you mean to import all the articles (from Joomla! default content) and THEN run it through the export system you mentioned, add tags, then drop the tables and reimport?  I guess it's one way around but seems a bit of a cludge (less so than via phpMyAdmin though I guess!)

Ruth

Ken Lyle said:

Mr. Neuman's Import/Export tool should handle this.  I just did a similar thing with a few dozen articles to which I added Item images.

Ruth Cheesley
Virya Technologies

More
13 years 8 months ago #93844 by Next Wave, Inc.
Replied by Next Wave, Inc. on topic Add tags to articles en-mass in a bulk job?
Using the Import tool, you can either append tags to existing items OR import the full items from a CSV.

In your case, where you have Joomla Content, use the K2 Import function, because that will be an intra-database transfer, whereas transferring article content via CSV is fraught with peril.

Then, one way or another, generate the spreadsheet/CSV that the Import tool needs.  Here's the link to that tool: community.getk2.org/xn/detail/3536014:BlogPost:102749

Alternatively, the ContentUploader from FreakedOut.de.  But I have only personally done an update/append of information to existing items using Mr. Neuman's kit.

Overall, if you can specify the conditions, and then just do one record with the tags you want, it should be pretty trivial to do the tagging in PHPMyAdmin.  You might also enjoy the convenience of using Access or better via ODBC.

• Ruth Cheesley
More
13 years 8 months ago #93845 by Ruth Cheesley
Replied by Ruth Cheesley on topic Add tags to articles en-mass in a bulk job?
Thanks for clarifying that Ken, sounds like the way to go :)  Will let you know how I get on!

Ruth

Ken Lyle said:

Using the Import tool, you can either append tags to existing items OR import the full items from a CSV.

In your case, where you have Joomla Content, use the K2 Import function, because that will be an intra-database transfer, whereas transferring article content via CSV is fraught with peril.

Then, one way or another, generate the spreadsheet/CSV that the Import tool needs.  Here's the link to that tool: community.getk2.org/xn/detail/3536014:BlogPost:102749

Alternatively, the ContentUploader from FreakedOut.de.  But I have only personally done an update/append of information to existing items using Mr. Neuman's kit.

Overall, if you can specify the conditions, and then just do one record with the tags you want, it should be pretty trivial to do the tagging in PHPMyAdmin.  You might also enjoy the convenience of using Access or better via ODBC.

Ruth Cheesley
Virya Technologies

More
11 years 1 month ago #93846 by Andrew Gaskell
Replied by Andrew Gaskell on topic Re: Add tags to articles en-mass in a bulk job?
I know this is an old topic, but a Google search for this got me here, so might do for others too.

So, I had a look at this, as I needed to bulk tag items, and decided to do it via MySQL. I though it'd maybe be handy to share the code. Table prefixes always vary, I know, but mine is "vh4z6" in this instance, which you'll see here, so you'd have to change that to whatever your table prefix is.

So I wanted to tag all my articles as "Aberdeen". I looked in the "vh4z6_k2_tags" table, and found the ID of the "Aberdeen" tag, which was "218".

Some items were already tagged as "Aberdeen", so I wanted to purge them, I did...