Keyword

Can K2 help me with this?

• Darrell Washington
  • Darrell Washington's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #94045 by Darrell Washington
Can K2 help me with this? was created by Darrell Washington
Hello, I am kinda new to Joomla (but learning) and I am new to K2.

Can K2 provide a category (or module) that show a bunch of subjects (math, english, etc.) that I create? Once a user click on the subject, K2 pulls that information from server (or Joomla MySQL).

Similar to quizlet.com/history-and-geography/ or shop.ebay.com/allcategories/all-categories

The data is created by the registered users and the category module just show the subjects.

Can K2 component help with the task? If so, that would be awesome. If not, those this require some MySQL work?

Thanks, I await your reply

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Yiota
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago #94046 by Yiota
Replied by Yiota on topic Can K2 help me with this?
The subjects you are referring to could be categories on K2.

The data could be items put by the assigned group of users.

So, it is feasible, if I understood your request correctly.

• Darrell Washington
More
13 years 7 months ago #94047 by Darrell Washington
Replied by Darrell Washington on topic Can K2 help me with this?
Thank you so much for responding. My website allows registered users to create their own flashcards and save the data. Unregistered can click on a subject (say Math) in the Category module in hopes of seeing all the results of other users that have created cards related to Math. Quizlet.com is a perfect example of what I am trying to get help with. If you go to that page. Click on math, you see the results of users that created flashcards related to the tag Math. I want something similar.

Can K2 help me with this? If so, can you point me in the right direction.

I just dont know how to do this. I want to know if K2 can help with this. Or is there Joomla MySQL work required to program.

Thank you so much

• Darrell Washington
More
13 years 6 months ago #94048 by Darrell Washington
Any help with this? Im still slighted confused. THanksDarrell Washington said:
Thank you so much for responding. My website allows registered users to create their own flashcards and save the data. Unregistered can click on a subject (say Math) in the Category module in hopes of seeing all the results of other users that have created cards related to Math. Quizlet.com is a perfect example of what I am trying to get help with. If you go to that page. Click on math, you see the results of users that created flashcards related to the tag Math. I want something similar.

Can K2 help me with this? If so, can you point me in the right direction.

I just dont know how to do this. I want to know if K2 can help with this. Or is there Joomla MySQL work required to program.

Thank you so much

More
13 years 6 months ago #94049 by Sam Harney
Replied by Sam Harney on topic Can K2 help me with this?
Darell,

K2 supports the "tagging" of articles, by authors, and I believe they can be tagged by visitors too.  Once articles are tagged you can create a Tag Cloud on your site.  This is the block of various Tags from your site, and I believe the size of the text of the tag is determined by the number of items with that tag, or the amount of traffic that tag is receiving.  K2 includes the TAG cloud module, hidden inside of the K2 Tools module.  So just create a new K2 Tools module and configure the parameters in it to create your tag cloud.

• Darrell Washington
More
13 years 6 months ago #94050 by Darrell Washington
Thanks for your response Sam.

I am not using articles. I am using data entered by users on the front end. I will not create article from the backend. User will enter data (question and answers in a form) and then an app will create a flashcards. I want to know if K2 can pull this data if the associated tag (from the data) is clicked on in a K2 module. Similar to the example i gave in my 1st post.

Thanks, please reply or call me if this is confusing. I can explain.

ThanksSam said:

Darell,

K2 supports the "tagging" of articles, by authors, and I believe they can be tagged by visitors too.  Once articles are tagged you can create a Tag Cloud on your site.  This is the block of various Tags from your site, and I believe the size of the text of the tag is determined by the number of items with that tag, or the amount of traffic that tag is receiving.  K2 includes the TAG cloud module, hidden inside of the K2 Tools module.  So just create a new K2 Tools module and configure the parameters in it to create your tag cloud.

More
13 years 6 months ago #94051 by Sam Harney
Darell,

Perhaps you should tell us how your users are inputing data...  Although I understood that your users were inputing information from the front end, it was my understanding that they were using K2 to input their articles (K2 term "item")  K2 is a replacement content management system... i.e. the purpose of it is to replace the Sections/Categories/Articles that Joomla uses by default.  So when you ask is K2 can make a "tag cloud" the answer is yes, it can make a tag cloud for the articles created with in it.  If you are asking if K2 can make a tag cloud for some "Form" that you hand coded, or programed with a "Form" plugin for Joomla, the answer is probably no, unless you, the maker of the form, or the users/company responsible for the Joomla "Form" plugin you are using have made, or intend to make a plugin for the form/form plugin designed to work with the way that K2 manages items/articles.

Again K2 is a replacement content manager for Joomla... So I'm not sure that it is what you are looking for based on your last post.
Darrell Washington said:

I am not using articles. I am using data entered by users on the front end. I will not create article from the backend. User will enter data (question and answers in a form) and then an app will create a flashcards. I want to know if K2 can pull this data if the associated tag (from the data) is clicked on in a K2 module. Similar to the example i gave in my 1st post.

• Darrell Washington
More
13 years 6 months ago #94052 by Darrell Washington
Thank you Sam for the efforts.

What I want do is this:

1. Use K2 to create a Tag Cloud. The Tag clouds will have tags like Math, English, Science, etc.. I know K2 can do this easily. So no problem here.

2. For example, if Math is clicked in the Tag Cloud, a results page return with all the flashcards (listed by title of flashcards) registered users created. These flashcards are created in the front end. An example is shown here:http://quizlet.com/  After Algebra is clicked in the category module here is the results:http://quizlet.com/subject/algebra/ It shows the title of the cards created by users with the tag Algebra. Just pretend Algrebra was in the K2 Tag Cloud and was clicked on. Can K2 return something like this or just article created?

I want to know if K2 can do something similary. Can i modify K2 to pull this from the Joomla MySQL database?

Thank you. I really need to know this so I can decide if I need to hire someone or if K2 can do this for me.Sam said:

Darell,

Perhaps you should tell us how your users are inputing data...  Although I understood that your users were inputing information from the front end, it was my understanding that they were using K2 to input their articles (K2 term "item")  K2 is a replacement content management system... i.e. the purpose of it is to replace the Sections/Categories/Articles that Joomla uses by default.  So when you ask is K2 can make a "tag cloud" the answer is yes, it can make a tag cloud for the articles created with in it.  If you are asking if K2 can make a tag cloud for some "Form" that you hand coded, or programed with a "Form" plugin for Joomla, the answer is probably no, unless you, the maker of the form, or the users/company responsible for the Joomla "Form" plugin you are using have made, or intend to make a plugin for the form/form plugin designed to work with the way that K2 manages items/articles.

Again K2 is a replacement content manager for Joomla... So I'm not sure that it is what you are looking for based on your last post.Darrell Washington said:

More
13 years 6 months ago #94053 by Sam Harney
Darell I understand what you want to do... However; as I stated before K2 is a replacement CMS (Content Management System) for Joomla... So the Tag cloud that it creates is for the articles stored within the tables that it uses in the Joomla Database.  If your Form/Form Plugin can input information into those tables then sure K2 can generate Tag clouds for them; however, if your Form/Form Plugin can not store its information in the K2 items tables, then I don't see how K2 is going to make a Tag cloud for you...  

Now in an attempt to help you, I will once again ask...

How are your user inputing the information for the flash cards?

If you can not provide a clear, and detailed explanation of what programs, code, plugins, or CMS that you are using for the above question then I believe we have provided you all the information possible for your question given the information you have provided to this point.

Darrell Washington said:

Thank you Sam for the efforts.

What I want do is this:

1. Use K2 to create a Tag Cloud. The Tag clouds will have tags like Math, English, Science, etc.. I know K2 can do this easily. So no problem here.

2. For example, if Math is clicked in the Tag Cloud, a results page return with all the flashcards (listed by title of flashcards) registered users created. These flashcards are created in the front end. An example is shown here:http://quizlet.com/  After Algebra is clicked in the category module here is the results:http://quizlet.com/subject/algebra/ It shows the title of the cards created by users with the tag Algebra. Just pretend Algrebra was in the K2 Tag Cloud and was clicked on. Can K2 return something like this or just article created?

I want to know if K2 can do something similary. Can i modify K2 to pull this from the Joomla MySQL database?

Thank you. I really need to know this so I can decide if I need to hire someone or if K2 can do this for me

• Darrell Washington
More
13 years 6 months ago #94054 by Darrell Washington
Thank you Sam for the efforts and time for helping me understand. I completely understand what you are stating now. This is all new, but I am learning a lot. 

I am not using a Joomla plugin to for users to input data in the flashcard application. I don't know how the data is getting stored in the flashcard application. An application developer is programming the flashcard application and I am contacting him now to determine how users are inputting data in the flashcard. I will inform you once I get comments back from him.

Do I need to ask the developer how user data is stored in the database? Is there a certain place in the database where K2 pulls information related to the associated tag? If so, I need inform the developer of this location.

Thanks for your advice and comments and time.

Darrell