Keyword

RSS Feed Pulls from Joomla, not K2 -- K2 2.4.1 Joomla 1.5.14 sh404SEF 1.0.11 Beta-build_147

• Dave Horn
  • Dave Horn's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #94531 by Dave Horn
Themes like mine seem to be recurring in this forum.  The company that developed my site has tried to fix the issue over the past year that we've been live. I've updated K2.  It looks like sh404SEF might be a little shaky as a Beta, but the guys at the developer say that that doesn't matter. 

Bottom line: I'd like to get a working RSS feed on my blog.  When sh404SEF is on, the blog feed doesn't work.  I guess that we've decided that the SEF URLs are more important than the blog feed.  The blog's a single category as far as I know. 

Where does a semi-tech-literate guy like me turn to fix this issue (or to have it fixed)?  It seems like it should work, or with a couple tweaks.  I can't be doing something that a thousand others aren't also doing. 

Is there help to be had?  My site is a Magento/Joomla Hybrid.   geartechs.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #94532 by Olivier Karfis
Hi.

Why would you be using a 1.0 beta of sh404??? They are now up to version 2.2.2.941 and you should really be updating your Joomla install, there are major security risks in running such an old version.

There are many K2 sites with working RSS feeds and running sh404 (mine included), I'd first get your components up to date before looking at any other issue...

My $0.02...

--Olivier

Owner of www.FrenchToday.com - K2 fan and freelancer, runs the Joomla/K2 tip site: www.yanaku.com

• Dave Horn
  • Dave Horn's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #94533 by Dave Horn
Thanks.  These are things that a sales guy/business owner knows more than he'd like to know about, but is forced to do when no one else seems to be able to figure it out. 

The site developer hasn't suggested the upgrades and I'd rather not break what's almost running by installing anything.  I did the K2 install on my own and asked the guys to recheck the RSS feed, but it didn;t work.  I see enough "fatal" error messages here and there on forums, that I feel like I'd risk ending up in a mess on my own. 

What is the latest stable build for Joomla?  And also, what other components like Xmap might I have to look at when updating?  Thanks again!

More
13 years 7 months ago #94534 by Olivier Karfis
Hi.

I don't want to bad mouth anyone but if your site developer doesn't suggest moving a production site off a beta dating back to circa July 2008, then I'd very seriously think about that person's competency.

It's not realistic for any of us on this forum or any of the sh404 folks to try to help you troubleshoot this if your system specs are not 'relatively' up to date.

Latest Joomla release is 1.5.22 (your version dates back from July 2009!) and don't let the dot dot updates fool you, there have been many critical security updates (meaning protecting your site from getting hacked).  Xmap has also been updated to run with K2 (can't remember the version).

Basically, the longer you wait, the more exposed you are to attacks and the harder (and more expensive) it will be for you to move your site forward.  I understand that you are a bus. owner but web sites are like cars or printers, they require a minimum of maintenance to make sure they perform optimally and don't die on you unexpectedly.

Good luck! :-)

--Olivier

Owner of www.FrenchToday.com - K2 fan and freelancer, runs the Joomla/K2 tip site: www.yanaku.com