Keyword

Backing out of K2 (I'm new - sorry)

• Dave Richards
  • Dave Richards's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 6 months ago #95012 by Dave Richards
Backing out of K2 (I'm new - sorry) was created by Dave Richards
Ok, I have this fear regarding K2. From what I've read, I need to migrate my current content into K2 and create new content there in order to take advantage of its capabilities. Is this correct?

My fear is what if I decide to move away from K2, then I don't have a way to migrate all of the original as well as the new content back into Joomla's core. Is there a way to do this? I really am not comfortable with using a 3rd party component to manage what Joomla should be able to manage on its own.

Am I crazy for having this concern?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #95013 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Backing out of K2 (I'm new - sorry)
Your question is not crazy.

There is an eaiser migration to K2 than back. There are some tools to produce files like content uploader pro that may handle the backward transition.

What K2 does best is produce an item instead of an article. The item has the ability to have an image (not embedded) that is associated with it, a video, a gallery, and comments built in, all suited well to do various things. K2 also has front end editing that has access control that 1.5 never had without other extensions.

K2 has the ability as does joomla to be completely overridden and styled to look different ways for different cateories.

Take a look at several sites that include K2 - JoomlaBamboo.com and Gavick are two well known template sites that have templates with k2 overrides. Take a look at them.

Also, take a look at K2Joom.com for their custom K2 overrides to see some of the things possible with k2 before taking the dive.

The blog here contains information about the transition to 1.6

• Dave Richards
More
13 years 6 months ago #95014 by Dave Richards
Replied by Dave Richards on topic Backing out of K2 (I'm new - sorry)
Well... at least my question wasn't crazy ;)

I really would like to get more into user submitted content and push that. Right now, it seems like my choices are either K2 or migrating to Drupal. My main issue with Drupal is EVERYTHING is optional there. The good thing about is that it keeps it all lean. I still feel a bit like CCK is the same as K2 though. 

• Dave Richards
More
13 years 6 months ago #95015 by Dave Richards
Replied by Dave Richards on topic Backing out of K2 (I'm new - sorry)
OK, was there ever any discussion in J! 1.6's development to include K2 or it's features?