Keyword

Basic K2 question about content structure.

• Bill Rust
  • Bill Rust's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 5 months ago #96106 by Bill Rust
I am just putting my site together, ultimately a mix of Joomla 1.5.23, K2, and JomSocial.

So far, basic issues, but nothing that I won't eventually figure out :-)

My question, before I get too deep into my site's architecture, is about K2 and the difference between the use of K2 and the basic Joomla categories and sections.  The template I am using is K2 ready, or compatible or however you want to put it.  I want to begin populating my site with content, but I am confused as to whether I am to do it using K2 or using the Joomla side, the standard section/category/article model.

I guess what I am having trouble wrapping my head around is the difference and when to use specifics between the two.

My site is a community portal, a regional site with the intention of becoming a local social network.  My main page, and the bulk of the site will be based on a magazine style template, as I will be sharing the normal things a community related site will (events, business info, user blogs, guest article, fashion news, etc).

So basically, I am at the point where I want to put some content in place.  A LOT of content, and I am unsure of whether I should use the K2 side, or just the plain old Joomla side to do so.

Thanks,

Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #96107 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Basic K2 question about content structure.
You can use either or both, or you can abandon articles and use items exclusively. The ability for having subcategories that inherit the settings and use the overrides of the parent category - or not, give you the ability to apply a consistent look across an entire category and its subcategories or have them look different, whatever you choose. When most of the fancy paramaters are turned off, items look and act very similar to articles

• Bill Rust
  • Bill Rust's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 5 months ago #96108 by Bill Rust
Replied by Bill Rust on topic Basic K2 question about content structure.
Thanks William, that makes things a little more clear!

I think what I am going to do to avoid any confusion on my part moving forward is make Admin article content using the default Joomla system, and user content can rely on K2.  That gives me the ability to keep things seperate, and manageable :-)

Thanks again,

Bill

More
13 years 5 months ago #96109 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Basic K2 question about content structure.
With the category and user system in K2 you can restrict users to specific groups, and you as admin can have access to all k2 categories. Lots of times people create a category for a user and restrict him to that category to add content.