Keyword

help on copying k2 content..

• herbert
  • herbert's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 3 months ago #97604 by herbert
help on copying k2 content.. was created by herbert
hi everyone.. 

i downloaded a beatiful template - Indielife. so i installed it well, but being new to k2 and Joomla i installed it with its demo content so that i can learn how its content was organised in order to appear the way it is and possibly i could do the same or even better.. it has been a roller coaster for me and to be honest i haven't gotten grips on how so many things were organised in this template.. so its a build-and-break learnig approach i took..(some one tell if there is better way to learn than this)

so at this moment i want to have afresh site install, but this time with no content. now retyping these K2 categories is going to be really hard for me (i trashed all the Indielife categories and created my own). is there a way i can copy content from one site to another(am running localhost).

i have poked around and found a component "com_export_content" but can only export sections and categories from joomla not K2..

someone help please..

thank you in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #97605 by Olivier Karfis
Replied by Olivier Karfis on topic help on copying k2 content..
Hi.

Not sure I completely understand what you are trying to do but it sounds like you want to copy the categories from one install into the other without any of the items assigned to these categories correct?

This is something that will require going into phpAdmin but you should be able to export the k2_categories table from your original install and import it into your new install.  I've never tried it myself but I don't believe the k2_categories has dependencies on other tables.

Your safest bet though is to grab all the k2 tables and import them via phpAdmin and then delete the content of the k2_items table that contains all the demo articles... (or even delete all items via the back end).

--Olivier

Owner of www.FrenchToday.com - K2 fan and freelancer, runs the Joomla/K2 tip site: www.yanaku.com

• herbert
More
13 years 3 months ago #97606 by herbert
Replied by herbert on topic help on copying k2 content..
Yeah i want to copy all i had created in K2, categories,extra field groups, extra fields, sub categories AND the items associated with them into a new install..

More
13 years 3 months ago #97607 by Olivier Karfis
That's much simpler then.  In phpMyAdmin, export all tables that start with k2 from your original install.  In a new Joomla install, install K2 and then import all the k2 tables over the existing ones.

--Olivier

Owner of www.FrenchToday.com - K2 fan and freelancer, runs the Joomla/K2 tip site: www.yanaku.com

• herbert
More
13 years 3 months ago #97608 by herbert
hahee.. it worked, thanks Olivier. so i have to do something about the images.. re-linking them.

More
13 years 3 months ago #97609 by Olivier Karfis
Yes, to bring over the images, attachements, etc... you need to copy the /media/k2/ folder over from your original install. You should not have to relink them if you do that.

--Olivier

More
13 years 3 months ago #97610 by william white
Replied by william white on topic help on copying k2 content..
***** 5 stars Olivier

• herbert
More
13 years 3 months ago #97611 by herbert
Hha.. Olivier you are the best.. i had retyped this content twice, i wasn't just strong enough to go uphill the third time.. thanx so much.

In my Ganda culture we give away a cock in appreciation, so a white cock for you Mr. Karfis :)

just out of curiosity, i noticed that in the media items images folder, the images are duplicated into six copies.. why is this so?

More
13 years 3 months ago #97612 by Olivier Karfis
Thanks ;-)

The images are not duplicated, if you look closely at the end of the filename, you'll see _XL,  _M... These are the different thumbnail sizes of each imported image that are generated by K2 automatically based on the image sizes you defined in your K2 Parameters.

Cheers!

--Olivier