Keyword

Image resizing before uploading on a Memorial Site site using K2

• Keith Davies
  • Keith Davies's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 3 months ago #97613 by Keith Davies
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on solving the my problem of resizing the image prior to upload when using the Image Tab~front end with K2.

Essentially I am playing with the idea of creating a memorial Section (for deceased pets), and K2 seems to have lots of the right bits: good templates, good public/customer front end management, good commenting, social network integration...

I simply want to prevent the customer trying to load a huge file onto the server... There doesn't seem to be much feedback to the user if the file is too bit..it just times out...

I want Customers to be able to register, create an Item (essentially, a pet obituary), and upload a picture... then their friedns can go and 'like' etc...or comment as appropriate...

Thanks in advance for any other suggestions you may have... and feel free to tell me K2 maybe isn't the wholly right approach...  Regards kjd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 3 months ago #97614 by william white
Are these your customers or web customers?

If they are your customers i would have them bring the photos into your shop or (just guessing, pet crematory or cemetery) and i would put the content there for them. Much eaiser to control that way.

In my experience with obituaries - We have to screen comments....likes are ok, but comments have to be screened and not be visiable to the public. We print or email them to our customer families. What you end up with is comments like....

"your dog ate my cat, im glad he died" or in our case with people - "your loved one may be in sheol - come to us for help" we havent seen it all, but we have seen a most of it....

Either way, best to keep the comments private and screen them.

K2 can do all you want and you can add galleries and videos as well

The hudge files you/they upload go into a source directory and are regenerated into several sizes that k2 will use for display to speed things up. If you have the space just increase max_execution time in php and it should work.

• Keith Davies
More
13 years 3 months ago #97615 by Keith Davies
Thanks william, some reaaly helpul suggestions... But as i'm playing about, i now have some more.

Initially i was thinking each obituary would be an item which gives me maximum flexibility, easpecially if customers were creating the obits themselves.

With youtr suggestion however, i then thought of it being less an obit with a picture, and more a simple gallery (loved ones lost type thing, with only a name, and dates) However the caption management thing in k2 doesn't seem great...

Do you have any ideas on caption management?

Many, many thanks for your ideas...

Kjd

More
13 years 3 months ago #97616 by william white
I think you were correct "maximum flexibuility"

If you base everything on an item, then you have the ability of rich content, and creating an override to just show what you want. For example if you only want to use the gallery, just create items, via front or back end, but craft the display for those item to show what you want. If you do it this way you wont have the caption managment problem, you will have the caption in addition to all the rest

• Keith Davies
More
13 years 3 months ago #97617 by Keith Davies
Hi William

It's a week since you relpied but i've been on holiday. Many thanks for your help...

Something you said however is niggling with me, it's the...'that way you won't have the caption problem'

My understanding is by using the item and galleries either in the body text or in the gallery area, i still have no easier means of caption management, or am i missing something in k2/sigpro? My understenading is i simply use the body text and heading to do the work of captions (and more). Is this right?

By the way i am now committed to using the items... Tahnks for your help.

Oh, one final thing... There may be a need to republish the items(in memorium items for pets) on the anniversery... This introduces a calendaring logic into the equation for me... Effectively i wish to create an item that reappears like a recurring event...if you have any ideas on this i would be most grateful... At the moment, i am resigning myself to manual management.

Regards in advance kjd...

More
13 years 3 months ago #97618 by william white
understenading is i simply use the body text and heading to do the work of captions (and more). Is this right?

I use the title and introtext.

I havent seen any method for publishing and unpublishing a k2 item at this point.

Keep me posted as we will be moving in this direction in the next year or so....the entire area...web - cemetery - cremation - and monument, who knows someone will probably want a service and memorial video for their pet

wjwjr