Keyword

Images are the same on front page

• jk15060
  • jk15060's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 3 months ago #97757 by jk15060
Images are the same on front page was created by jk15060
I am struggling terribly with the images for each category being resized differently and don't know how to fix them so that all images line up properly.  And, of course, my client is mad because the images don't line up across the front page.  (wncproperty.com)

From the url above, look at Commercial Property.  I'm thinking the image proportions are different from all the others, but I'm just not figuring out how to edit the image so that it will fit in the space alike all the other images across the top.

I'll be adding a new category/image and it does the exact same thing.

Forgive me if this is documented somewhere, because I haven't found it as of yet.

Thank you to anyone who can help me get these images lined up.

Janis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jk15060
More
13 years 3 months ago #97758 by jk15060
Replied by jk15060 on topic Images are the same on front page
Meant to say:  Images are NOT the same on front page

• gerardo
  • Visitor
13 years 3 months ago #97759 by gerardo
Replied by gerardo on topic Images are the same on front page
Hi Janis. I'm just learning here but the same thing was happening to me and I think I can help you a little.

Go to that particular category in the back end. Under Parameters, open the tab under "Category ietm layout". Your problem has to do with each of the fields there that says at the end "...count" and "...columns". After a certain number of items it changed to two columns, that's why the last one doesn't look aligned. Tinker with those fields to fix that.

I hope that was helpful : )

• jk15060
More
13 years 3 months ago #97760 by jk15060
Will give that a shot, Gerardo.  Thank you SO much for the reply!  Hope that does the trick.

• jk15060
More
13 years 3 months ago #97761 by jk15060
Got all category item layout settings the same, and even changed the image for Commercial Property and now it's bigger than the rest.  This is so confusing! Now I'm wondering if my problem is with the images, but I just do not know.

I appreciate the reply. 

• gerardo
  • Visitor
13 years 3 months ago #97762 by gerardo
Sorry, Janice... I thought you meant another thing =$ Now I see what's your problem. I think it's best to wait for the experts to help you, before I give you some bad advice.

• jk15060
More
13 years 3 months ago #97763 by jk15060
No problem.  It was worth trying.  Thanks Gerardo!

Janis

• gerardo
  • Visitor
13 years 3 months ago #97764 by gerardo
I have no idea if this have to do, I was trying to find an answer to a question of mine and found this in the process: community.getk2.org/forum/topics/how-i-know-change-the-item

Just an idea while we wait for an expert to help us with our questions.

• jk15060
More
13 years 3 months ago #97765 by jk15060
Just sent a message to my hosting provider to see if the GD Image Library is enabled.  Not sure if that is the answer to my issue, but it was certainly worth checking.   Thanks again, Gerardo!

Janis

• jk15060
More
13 years 3 months ago #97766 by jk15060
Ok, finally got the answer I needed from the good folks at JoomlaXTC who created the template I'm using with K2.

Here's how you make the images the proper size.  Use whatever image resizing application you prefer (mine is WinWatermark), and resize the images exactly the size that you want them.  Then, using your preferred FTP application (mine is FileZilla) and drag those images to /media/k2/categories/. 

The files will need to be renamed according to the Category ID from within the K2 Component.  So for instance, on this particular website (webbkennels.com/dogbreeder), the Category for PUPPIES has an ID number of 4, so the image I upload for the Puppies category should be 4.jpg.  If you use Firefox and grab the Inspect Element addon, it's very easy to find out which JPG goes with which category.

Bottom line?  Resize the images first, upload via FZ, rename according to category ID, and refresh the front end of the website.  If the image is too large for the K2ContentWall module, then either resize the module in the backend of Joomla, or use your resizing software locally and re-upload the new image, making sure to overwrite the old image.

Never dreamed of having to do this manually, but it works like a charm.  The fix has nothing to do with GD Image Library or anything within Joomla, but rather resizing the image yourself and uploading via FTP.

Hope this helps someone else out there.

Janis