Keyword

How do you allow front end article submissions?

• Jerry Garner
  • Jerry Garner's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 11 months ago #100447 by Jerry Garner
Could someone please point me to documentation that explains how to allow people in my "Authors" group to use front end article submission?

All I get right now is the old style Joomla articles of section + category, and I don't use that. I need something that will allow users to drop articles directly into K2 categories. It seems like a glaring oversight that a submit/add button isn't programmed into the menu item choices.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #100448 by william white
Replied by william white on topic How do you allow front end article submissions?
Front end editing is allowed in the paramaters or options of K2

When these are set, and k2 user groups have permission to add on the front end, the users will see add new item when they are logged in.

an old post on this can be found here

• Jerry Garner
More
12 years 11 months ago #100449 by Jerry Garner
Replied by Jerry Garner on topic How do you allow front end article submissions?
Thank you William. I had that enabled. My problem was that I had the Joomla Login module enabled. I turned that one off and turned on the K2 login module, and everything was ok. I am having one problem, however, that maybe you or someone else here can help with.

I created a K2 user group called Authors. I gave this group front end editing permissions and highlighted the categories that I would like them to be able to add content to. However, when I log into an account in the Authors group, go to the Add Item page and then click on the Categories drop down list, I can see all categories listed. By that, I mean that they aren't restricted only to the ones I highlighted; they can see everything, including categories I do not want them contributing to.

Am I overlooking something here? Shouldn't I be able to restrict which categories the user group can contribute to?

More
12 years 11 months ago #100450 by william white
Replied by william white on topic How do you allow front end article submissions?
Have you tried to add and edit items to categories that you do not have permissions selected for in the k2 authors user group?

• Jerry Garner
More
12 years 11 months ago #100451 by Jerry Garner
Replied by Jerry Garner on topic How do you allow front end article submissions?
Ok, I see what you mean. I had misunderstood and thought that the other categories shouldn't be visible. What I didn't notice was that even though I can see them, I can only click on the ones the account is authorized for. Thanks.

• Jerry Garner
More
12 years 11 months ago #100452 by Jerry Garner
I have another problem with this that I am hoping you can help me with.

Whenever someone in my "Authors" group submits an article to the site, the article does appear in the back-end with a pending status (basically meaning it is there, but unpublished). That part is fine.

My problem is that as soon as the author clicks the submit button on the article, they are presented with a 403 page stating that they do not have permission to view the page. How can I correct this? I would really prefer it if they received a message confirming that the article has been received and will be reviewed by an editor, but even taking them back to the home page would be an improvement over a 403. Help?

Also, is it possible to set something up so that I receive an email notification whenever an article is submitted, or do I basically have to keep tabs on the back-end to see if there are any new unpublished items?

More
12 years 11 months ago #100453 by william white
Thisextension will send you an email.

I havent tested your first problem before, if you like you can pm me a link.

• Jerry Garner
More
12 years 11 months ago #100454 by Jerry Garner
From what I've read in other posts here, the problem is because I have "Edit Own Items" set to No. I haven't tested this after a change, but I presume that is the problem. I really would prefer it if only people in the Editors group could edit articles. Imagine having someone contribute several hundred articles, then one day in the future going back and adding a bunch of spammy links to the text. That's what I'm concerned about. Or perhaps edits on published articles require re-approval - not sure, haven't tested that.

I would really prefer it if after submitting they were taken to a page that simply confirmed the submission had been received, but I've spent quite a bit of time searching and haven't come up with anything. Hopefully this is something that can be added in a future release.