Keyword

K2 tools - tag cloud

• Martin Kilkie
  • Martin Kilkie's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 2 months ago #100879 by Martin Kilkie
K2 tools - tag cloud was created by Martin Kilkie
Hi,

I am a strong user of K2 but sometimes get frustrated by the lack of good documentation. I do understand that a lot of effort is needed but the extension is so excellent that it is a real shame it suffers by the lack of a well written documentation pdf or whatever.
This introduction is important as I suspect that it is my lack of knowledge rather than a bug.
I have created a copy of the K2 tools module and specified it as a tag cloud. the cloud is then limited to one category of items. I display the module on the blog page for the category and all works well, except for two tiny but annoying problems:

1. I assumed that when I click on a tag it would only pull out items from that category, when in fact it pulls out all items from all categories with that tag.
2. I cannot find any way of customising the layout of the resultant tagged items that are displayed, either in its own blog layout or when individual items are selected.

Any help appreciated.

Again these are only minor niggles as it is a stunning extension.

Martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago #100880 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: K2 tools - tag cloud
Hi. Regarding your issues:

1. Unfortunatelly this is not supported by K2. A K2 tag page will fetch all the items that are tagged with this tag. You can however try to make menu links to the tags with category restriction. I guess that K2 will find the menu link and your links from the module will restrict categories. I am not sure about this, it's just an idea.

2. You need to override the tag.php layout. Tags that have menu links can use different templates.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Martin Kilkie
More
12 years 2 months ago #100881 by Martin Kilkie
Replied by Martin Kilkie on topic Re: K2 tools - tag cloud
Hi Lefteris,

The logic in the tag cloud dialog is that you ARE restricting the tags to the category, otherwise why do you select categories (plural if wanted)??

I think this is a bit of code that you havent just written yet. All that is needed as you say is a restriction of the tags to those items in the categories selected in the tag cloud box.

Without the restriction there is only a very limited use for tags on a big site. I will play and see if I can get a workaround but I would suggest that the tag cloud does restrict the query to the categories selected.

Regarding the layout, this would all be explained in the documentation wouldnt it? The obvious answer would be for the K2 module to allow layout definition as if it was a metacategory or metaset, which it is.

thanks again for an excellent extension though.

Martin

More
12 years 2 months ago #100882 by Lefteris
Thanks for you recommendations.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Martin Kilkie
More
12 years 2 months ago #100883 by Martin Kilkie
Hi Lefteris,

Is there any possibility you could look at the work involved in modifying the code for the k2tool tag cloud to filter by category? this would really help.

Martin

More
12 years 2 months ago #100884 by Karabo
Replied by Karabo on topic Re: K2 tools - tag cloud
I Agree, i think K2 is a brilliant tool - i would be willing to pay for it just to have proper documentation and support...i understand the team is busy but there is demand for the tool i agree with Martin :(

More
12 years 2 months ago #100885 by Lefteris
@Martin Kilkie

This is not that simple. It's not just the module, some component files also need to be changed.

@Karabo
Currently the best option for resources is this community. We always try to hear what people have to say about K2 and we try to cover most of the needs.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Martin Kilkie
More
12 years 2 months ago #100886 by Martin Kilkie
Hi Lefteris,

you must take a look at the module miniK2 module by templateplaza.com.

This module extending K2 does what I am suggesting, ie you use the module to do its thing (as with K2 tools for tags). then you define the layout as if it was a category?
I am not suggesting you copy what he has done, but there are a lot of similar ideas that are clearly intended to extend K2 anyway.

Hope this helps.

regards

Martin