Keyword

Recommendations for Search solutions anyone?

• Sean Carney
  • Sean Carney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 2 months ago #101453 by Sean Carney
I have been trying to figure out a way to have a search on my page of K2 items that functions as a search box and then when the results come up the words searched for are highlighted and the search shows some limited amount of text and descriptions, etc...

this is what I have become accustomed to with Joomla.

I have found K2 Tools and created two Search tools. One of them is place on the top of my right column and has "Enable live search" set to Yes. I like the way it is working. I have called it "Quick Content Search".

The other K2 Tools I have placed in my "Search" space in the Menu banner on the upper right of my page. It does not have Live Search on and it finds results fine. But, what it does is show the entire articles without highlighting the searched words. It also does not have any options to conduct an advanced search.

Does anybody have some good recommendations to get this to only show some limited amount of intro text and to highlight the searched for words and to maybe offer some more advanced search options?

I am playing with a third link for Search at the top right corner of my page. It is a Joomla Search item added to a Menu. It does have a Search Keyword field and has some search options. I would like to change the options. It seems to assume that I have Joomla Categories and Articles and it assumes that uses will know what in the world "K2" means. But, those are not good assumptions.

Here is my test site: life.drcarney.com

I am using Joomla! 2.5.6 and K2 2.5.7

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sean Carney
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #101454 by Sean Carney
Replied by Sean Carney on topic Re: Recommendations for Search solutions anyone?
Wow, almost 24 hours and not a single reply. This forum is not very strong. I wonder if maybe there is a better forum somewhere else for all things K2? No wonder some of my friends told me that K2 support was week even though the K2 product is awesome.

I think I will probably try K2 AceSearch.

• Sean Carney
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 2 months ago #101455 by Sean Carney
Replied by Sean Carney on topic Re: Recommendations for Search solutions anyone?
For anybody that is interested... I did decide to go with AceSearch and their K2 module. It is very flexible and the support was great. I am very happy with the search results!

More
11 years 11 months ago #101456 by Miguel
Mind me asking more details about your AceSearch purchase? My K2 extension for AceSearch (and EasyBlog) returns long lists of duplicates and I am having trouble finding documentation about the matter.

Do your search results include a lot of duplicates? What version of AceSearch do you use?

I'm using the free version of AceSearch, just to test the waters, but I have AceSearch's EasyBlog and K2 extensions ($9 a piece). I'm running Joomla 1.5.