Keyword

Wrong characters showing in Google search

• David Lagerlöf
  • David Lagerlöf's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 2 months ago #101547 by David Lagerlöf
Wrong characters showing in Google search was created by David Lagerlöf
Hi. When I google my site www.fotograflagerlof.se I get search results that looks like this, with html tags instead of the swedish letters åäö:

Backa upp foton under semesterresan - Fotograf David Lagerlöf
4 dagar sedan – Sommaren spenderade jag en månad utomlands, närmare bestämt Vietnam. Som fotograf är det ett spännande ...

The tags only show up in K2 posts in Google search. What I did first was to enter in K2s "Enter which HTML tag attributes to strip in full text" that it should clean up the corresponding html tags wich seemed to work. When Google indexed the K2 posts again åäö turned up instead. But when I post new K2 posts the same problem appears again.

I am using UTF8 for the site in general.

Any suggestions?

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #101548 by VietPublic
Replied by VietPublic on topic Re: Wrong characters showing in Google search
You goto Administrator > Global Configuration > Site set Unicode Aliases to No
Have 2 solutions to solve your problem

First solution (Not recommend) similar my vietnamese with sign, you can see more ..
vietpublic.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/sef-alias-ti%e1%ba%bfng-vi%e1%bb%87t-trong-joomla/

Second Solution
Go to Components > K2 > Information you choose Parameters button (top-right corner)
Select Advanced tab > SEO > SEF URL character replacements
you can replace your language to alphabet ex: add after SEF URL character available with å|a, ö|o, ä|a
Save & Close Parameters.

Edit K2 item Title = Fotografer behövs, även om branschen dör...
Clear Title alias (URL) text, Click Save => Title alias (URL) = fotografer-behovs-aven-om-branschen-dor

• David Lagerlöf
  • David Lagerlöf's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 2 months ago #101549 by David Lagerlöf
Replied by David Lagerlöf on topic Re: Wrong characters showing in Google search
Hi!

From what I understand your response concerns the URLs? My problem does not concern the URLs which are fine. It is rather the Google descriptions when making a Google search. The descriptions are shown like this with umlauts:

4 dagar sedan – Sommaren spenderade jag en månad utomlands, närmare bestämt Vietnam. Som fotograf är det ett spännande ...

I want to correct whatever makes Google read the content like "är" instead of "är". The problem is clearly K2 related as it only appears in K2 items.

Any suggestion?

More
12 years 1 month ago #101550 by Manuel
I have the same problems with meta - description on utf-8 with german umlaute:

Example: "mit dem Projekt „ArtSensual“, mit seiner Freundin".

Does anyone has a solution to this issue?

Regards
Manuel

More
12 years 1 month ago #101551 by Manuel
I tried this with different templates now, but it still the same issue, the description which was produced automatic from the article is not right formated as UTF-8.
This will be also wrong in the facebook like status. I also found that the translation (german) from Simple Image Gallery Pro at the end of the article has the same failures.

This should be fixed as soon as possible because this will happen to all non-english sites.

Is there anybody how could help us?

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #101552 by Stefan Morrow
Replied by Stefan Morrow on topic Re: Wrong characters showing in Google search
Hi,

I had the same issues while working on a German site and was a little disappointed to find no configuration open to decide how to manage this aspect - a very important one in fact.

For any looking for help on this matter here is how I fixed it for version 2.5.4 (you may find similar in other versions):

Locate file
components/com_k2/views/item/view.html.php

Look for this line
$metaDescItem = htmlentities($metaDescItem, ENT_QUOTES, 'utf-8');

In version 2.5.4 it is line 285, and in version 2.5.7 it is Line 302

Replace with
$metaDescItem = html_entity_decode($metaDescItem, ENT_QUOTES, 'utf-8');

If anybody from K2 guys is listening in - please, when applying a proper correction in this area ensure that you finalize the character conversion BEFORE you apply the word limit..... At present it is the opposite way round.