Keyword

Menu Item "Featured Articles"?

• Thomas Unterstaller
  • Thomas Unterstaller's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 1 month ago #102181 by Thomas Unterstaller
Menu Item "Featured Articles"? was created by Thomas Unterstaller
Hi folks!
I'm totally new to this, so I would like to ask you a question and hope that it doesn't sound stupid :) A prolonged Google-search didn't help me...

Up to now I was using "just" Joomla. Now I am thinking about adding K2 and importing everything into it.

However, my site is made for a small club where many users may add content through the frontend.
Some content is meant to show up only on the sub-pages that can be accessed through the main menu.
(Let's say my site is about sports, then the baseball content should show up on the baseball sub-page).
Yet it may be that the user deems his content important for the whole club, not only for his baseball-fans. So in Joomla, he could make the content (the article) a "featured" one and it would show up not only on the baseball-page but also on the front page. After a few days he would remove the "featured" attribute and his article disappears from the front page but still remains on the baseball-page.

I like this way to post things a lot - now as far as I understand, this is not possible with K2 - or am I mistaken (I hope so). As I see it, featuring an article does only bring this red ribbon onto it but nothing more. Or is there a way to make a page that only shows featured articles? In normal Joomla this would be a menu item type "featured articles" - I can't find that on K2 ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #102182 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: Menu Item "Featured Articles"?
Take a look at the k2 menu option "latest items (from one or more) user or categories. Although these are not featured, it may do what you want.
There is also a category sort option "featured first" to use in category views, but that limits you to showing the category headers. if you choose you could do an override and eliminate the category headers and just show the items

• Thomas Unterstaller
More
12 years 1 month ago #102183 by Thomas Unterstaller
Replied by Thomas Unterstaller on topic Re: Menu Item "Featured Articles"?
Yes, the recent articles function could do nearly the same. I think I will give it a try!

Thank you for your advice!

More
12 years 1 month ago #102184 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: Menu Item "Featured Articles"?
@Thomas

The same is possible with K2. And it's even better because you can have multiple front-pages. Just make a menu link to the desired K2 categories and set the "Featured items" setting to "Show only featured items". Then set the "Item ordering" to "Ordering". Your frontpage is now ready. Just remember to go to the administration and set the Featured ordering values by seting the "- Select featured state -" to "Featured".

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Thomas Unterstaller
More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #102185 by Thomas Unterstaller
Replied by Thomas Unterstaller on topic Re: Menu Item "Featured Articles"?
Thank you! It works well indeed!

More
12 years 1 month ago #102186 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: Menu Item "Featured Articles"?
You are welcome.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Rupert Griffiths
More
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #102187 by Rupert Griffiths
Replied by Rupert Griffiths on topic Re: Menu Item "Featured Articles"?
Sometime has passed since this thread, but I am having the same issue.

The problem with using the menu as described is that if you select only one category to display then you do not get the option to have featured only.

If you select multiple categories its fine, although I do not see the option to limie the intro text like you do when setting up an individual category.

Edited to say that I just used the K2 content module for this effect.

Thanks