Keyword

K2 as Docman Replacement

More
12 years 1 month ago #102865 by AD
K2 as Docman Replacement was created by AD
I am currently using Docman but definitely like K2 and I'm considering switching to it as my download manager but have a couple of questions:

1. Is there a way of having the Item Title function as a link to the attachment. I'd be looking to allow someone to click Item "Tonight's Agenda" and have that download the attachment as opposed to them clicking on that item, then having to click the attachment to download the file.
2. Any suggested migration from Docman to K2 to make it less painful? I have around 700 documents and would like to retain the Name, File (on the server), Category, and Hits, if possible.

Thanks
Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #102866 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: K2 as Docman Replacement
K2 stores its attachments in yoursideroot/media/k2/attachments

A file name will look something like
197828_153269591401835_100001563855149_339039_7990755_n.jpg

A k2 attachment link for that file looks like
yoursite.com/index.php/k2categoryname/item/download/1_d33d0f060d38c2bcad151b4bc5b927a5

Multiple files may be attached to each item if desired

The obsufication of the links serves to keep people from typing them into the browser and accessing them when you don't want them to or if you have it set up so only registered users can see the link

All of this can be figured out, but it seems to me that it would be easier to put a download link in the intro text of each item and point to the file you want with your file name, which you have stored with your logic

You would need a custom script to move docman to k2 items, i have not seen one available

If i wanted to persue the conversion i would talk to this person
www.individual-it.net/en/Joomla/
who had done a lot of work importing to k2

More
12 years 1 month ago #102867 by AD
Replied by AD on topic Re: K2 as Docman Replacement
Thanks William - much appreciated. Still figuring out what to do, but K2 is a great product, thanks for putting it out there for us.

Adam