Keyword

Please help with a solution to K2 categories

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #103538 by Ryan
I have been trying to figure this out for a few days and I am still a bit confused. Thanks in advance for the help!

I am using K2, I have about 150 Categories right now. Those 150 categories are for a specific city (for example: New York). I want to have those same 150 Categories for many other cities (For example: San Diego, Las Vegas, ect). 100's of different cities to be precise. I am confused on how to accomplish this.

IF I create menu items for all of the "States" and "Cities" , and then I assign it to display articles within a category, then it will pull the same articles not giving me unique results on a per city basis.

Technically, I could accomplish this task by duplicating the 150 categories I currently have, and nesting them under a newly created "city" parent category, BUT that just seems VERY messy for 100+ Cities. I have learned proper relational database design a while back, but I can't seem to understand how joomla will provide this.

Is there built in functionality to Joomla to help me with this? Maybe a plugin? Can I use Extra Fields to achieve this?

I thank you greatly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
12 years 2 weeks ago #103539 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Replied by Kannan Naidu Venugopal on topic Re: Please help with a solution to K2 categories
Hi Ryan,

Have you considered using the K2 tagging for your items ?

K2 Rocks \m/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.