Keyword

Using cloud database (MySQL on Xeround.com)

• John MacMillan
  • John MacMillan's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 1 week ago #103794 by John MacMillan
Using cloud database (MySQL on Xeround.com) was created by John MacMillan
Hello all,

I am experimenting with Xeround.com, a cloud version of MySQL, it is pretty slick as far as scalability, performance, etc... It works well with a stock Joomla site (tried it with Joomla 1.5 and Joomla 2.5), but as soon as I try to install K2, I run into some problems. Their version of MySQL is different than MyISAM or InnodDB engines normally used with MySQL, and it doesn't support full text indexing. Some of the K2 tables require full text indexing so it won't install.

I am waiting to hear back from their support about this, but in the meantime, I figured I would post here to see if anyone has any experience with using them and has a workaround. And also wanted to post this in case you are thinking about using them with your K2 powered site so you know there are potential issues.

If I hear back from them about this, I will post more info here so if anyone else is trying to do this, you will be informed.

Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• John MacMillan
More
12 years 1 week ago #103795 by John MacMillan
Replied by John MacMillan on topic Re: Using cloud database (MySQL on Xeround.com)
So the answer is, don't use Xeround.com for your Joomla site if you use K2 or other extensions that require full text indexing. It is a shame, as a powerful cloud based database would help improve the performance and scalability of Joomla powered sites running K2. Would reduce the costs and hassle of having a dedicated DB server (like we have now). Thanks all.

Here is their reply to my support email:

Unfortunately we do not support MyISAM storage engine nor FULLTEXT indexes.
Please read our release notes to get the full list of limitations/issues here:
xeround.com/developers/release-notes/

More
12 years 1 week ago #103796 by Lefteris
Hi. K2 uses MySQL's full text capabilities for searching which do offer a lot of advantages over the regular search. If you are interested to change that you need to hack K2. You need to do take two steps:

1. Edit the install.mysql.sql file of K2. Remove the lines that are generating the Full-Text indexes.
2. Search the whole K2 code and replace the queries that are using the "MATCH ... AGAINST" keywords with normal LIKE operators.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• John MacMillan
More
12 years 1 week ago #103797 by John MacMillan
Replied by John MacMillan on topic Re: Using cloud database (MySQL on Xeround.com)
Thanks for the information, but one of the things I like the most about K2 is how you made it easy for us to override templates and add plugins to prevent us from hacking it so future upgrades are easier. So I would rather leave K2 stock and just switch my database to a more standard MySQL installation. I see this as more of a flaw on their side, not yours, you are using standard MySQL features.

Keep up the good work! B)