Keyword

Can we get a character count for meta description?

• Svein Wisnaes
  • Svein Wisnaes's Avatar Topic Author
  • A Norwegian living in Brazil
More
11 years 11 months ago #104804 by Svein Wisnaes
It is very useful to add a good metadescription for an article. Not that it counts for the indexing by Google, but it helps getting people to actually click.

But if it is longer than 150 characters, either Google will not display all of it, or Google might even drop it completely and replace it with something else.

So it would be nice to have a character counter that shows how many characters you have typed in. A bit like what you have in many Twitter clients, just that they usually count down.

Counting up from 0 is totally ok. Nothing fancy, just a number :)

Regards,

Svein
The topic has been locked.
More
11 years 11 months ago #104805 by Goh Yew Hoe
Hmm... K2 doesn't automatically pull meta description from article text, does it? Since meta description needs to be defined manually in K2, there's no reason to add a trim option for that since you can specify the length.

If using a plugin that automatically generates meta description on the fly, then the trim function should be from the plugin rather than K2.
  • Kannan Naidu Venugopal
  • Platinum Member
  • Aham Brahmasmi
More
11 years 11 months ago #104806 by Kannan Naidu Venugopal
Replied by Kannan Naidu Venugopal on topic Re: Can we get a character count for meta description?
If you do not specify a custom meta desciption for your item, K2 uses the item text to set the meta description automagically :D . It does limits the characters to 150, so you dont have to worry. Unless, you want your meta description different from the item text.

K2 Rocks \m/
  • Svein Wisnaes
More
11 years 11 months ago #104807 by Svein Wisnaes
Replied by Svein Wisnaes on topic Re: Can we get a character count for meta description?

Stephen wrote: Hmm... K2 doesn't automatically pull meta description from article text, does it? Since meta description needs to be defined manually in K2, there's no reason to add a trim option for that since you can specify the length.

If using a plugin that automatically generates meta description on the fly, then the trim function should be from the plugin rather than K2.

Eh... Who said anything about trim? What I am asking about is a number that shows me how many characters I have typed in the metadata filed...

Regards,

Svein
More
11 years 11 months ago #104808 by Tyrone Jones
Word Count Tool is a free word counter that counts the number of words submitted to it.

www.wordcounttool.com

Free and fast online word counting tool!
  • Svein Wisnaes
More
11 years 11 months ago #104809 by Svein Wisnaes
Replied by Svein Wisnaes on topic Re: Can we get a character count for meta description?
Thank you, Tyrone :)

I also have it in my wordprocessor and a few text editing tools.

What I really miss, is a way to have it online, in K2...

Regards,

Svein