Keyword

K2 Content module items click-through question

• Paul Le Fevre
  • Paul Le Fevre's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 11 months ago #105465 by Paul Le Fevre
K2 Content module items click-through question was created by Paul Le Fevre
I have added a K2 Content module to my home page and am showing two Featured items in it from my product catalog. The problem I have is that when you click one of these featured items, the item page you go to is different from the one you go to when you navigate the product catalog. You can see from the URL that it is different.

When you navigate the catalog, there is a breadcrumb and modules in the right column with a catalog menu and tag cloud. But when you click one of the featured items on the home page, you don't get the breadcrumb or modules in the right column and the active menu item in the main nav still shows "Home" rather than "Products".

How do I make the click-throughs in the K2 Content module use the same URL (and hence see the same page structure) as when you view these items via the catalog?

Examples are here:

Item viewed via the catalog -
www.fly.com.au/australmold/index.php/products/item/44-connector-b

Same item viewed via K2 Content module on home page -
www.fly.com.au/australmold/index.php/component/k2/item/44-connector-b

Home page -
www.fly.com.au/australmold/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #105466 by Lefteris
Hi. Try to make a menu link to the K2 category of the item.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Paul Le Fevre
More
11 years 11 months ago #105467 by Paul Le Fevre
Replied by Paul Le Fevre on topic Re: K2 Content module items click-through question
Hi Lefteris, thanks for responding.

I made a new menu item (K2 Categories) called "Test" and selected the Category (DIN) containing the featured products as you suggested.

And straight away the URLs for the 2 items on the home page in the "Featured" module changed to:

www.fly.com.au/australmold/index.php/test/item/44-connector-a
www.fly.com.au/australmold/index.php/test/item/44-connector-b

While this is kind of good news, in that the items are not opening in the generic layout, it does mean that Joomla displays these two products as though they are part of a Category called "Test" and there is no such category, it is the name of the menu item only. The two featured items are actually located in:

Products
- Separable Connectors
- - DIN

What I want is when a user clicks on one of these products in the featured items panel, they get taken to the product's detail page and it's location in the K2 category structure is displayed in the main menu (Products), the breadcrumb (Products > Separable Connectors > DIN) and the Category menu I've set up in a module in the right column.

What I realise is that when you create a K2 Category menu item (like I did with "Test") and in the K2 Category selector, you select the direct parent of the item you've featured (DIN), it works. But when you create a new K2 Category menu item and you choose a category further up the hierarchy like in my case, "Products" which has no items under it, only more categories, then it doesn't work.

Can you help me sort this out?

More
11 years 11 months ago #105468 by Lefteris
You can make a parent category and make the link there. You can also have the link as hidden ( not displayed in your site ).

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Paul Le Fevre
More
11 years 11 months ago #105469 by Paul Le Fevre
Replied by Paul Le Fevre on topic Re: K2 Content module items click-through question
The problem with creating a link to one of the parent categories (Separable Connectors or Products) is that it doesn't seem to 'claim' items that are nested down inside a further category, in this case, DIN.

In order for my K2 items to always appear as part of the "Products" section of the website, no matter how they are navigated to, they must be 'claimed' by the "Products" menu item and this is what I can't get going.

If I link my Products menu item to the parent category that contains the items I want to feature:

Products menu > linked to > DIN
IT WORKS! The K2 items in the DIN category are claimed by the Products menu.

If I link my Products menu item to the top level of the catalog structure which is 2 levels above DIN:

Products menu > linked to > Products
IT DOESN'T WORK The K2 items in the DIN category and all other items in child categories of the Products category are not claimed by the Products menu.

So in short, a menu item will not claim any K2 items that are not directly inside the selected category. This is the problem. I need the menu item to 'look' down inside the child categories for items and not just in the selected category.

Creating another menu item and even making it hidden doesn't fix the problem as the K2 items featured in the home page module will not be claimed by the Products menu which is what they must be.

There must be a switch for this behaviour somewhere.... I just can't seem to find it.

Thanks for your help Lefteris, I do appreciate it.

Paul

More
11 years 11 months ago #105470 by Lefteris
Make the menu link to multiple categories and select all the categories you want to have this Itemid.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
11 years 7 months ago #105471 by Panos

Lefteris Kavadas wrote: Make the menu link to multiple categories and select all the categories you want to have this Itemid.

I'm having the same issue and when I select multiple categories the link I get is messing up the site when I use SEF urls and caching. It always shows the first category I click no matter what category I click to. Maybe because when you select more than one category at the menu the link generated is like this: index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&layout=category&task=&id=&Itemid=674 where task and id is missing thus the module doesn't catch the correct Itemid.