• jonmestev
  • jonmestev's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 11 months ago #106086 by jonmestev
private content per user was created by jonmestev
Hello friends K2
I have one query I put my joomla 2.5 private content eg
I have three users A, B and C
When user A is registered only can see only their private content, but not in B and C
and user B can only see only their private content but not of A and C
The C and B the same

As I can do, it may with K2 and that part is set thank you very much

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #106087 by Gregwh
Replied by Gregwh on topic Re: private content per user

jonmestev wrote: Hello friends K2
I have one query I put my joomla 2.5 private content eg
I have three users A, B and C
When user A is registered only can see only their private content, but not in B and C
and user B can only see only their private content but not of A and C
The C and B the same

As I can do, it may with K2 and that part is set thank you very much

Interesting problem. The only way I can see you can do this without trying to find an extension to do it for you is to:

1) Make up a K2 User Group for each of those users.
2) Assign priveleges inside the group for them.

Eg, User A is Paul, User B is Jane and User C is Gene. Make up a User group in K2 for each user, using their names to keep it straight in your mind in years to come. So you have made a user group called Paul. When you click New in User Groups it comes up with Assign Permissions for Groups and Categories. You assign the category named Paul (which you have already made up) in here and you give him the permissions you want. When you make up the Paul menu you would assign access as Paul and you would go to the right hand side and add the user Paul and the Category Paul. So now, the user Paul can only see that, or anyone else with Paul access. You would need to also move the user in K2 to Paul access. You want to give him everything Registered has and also Paul on top in the Usergroup so when you move him to Paul access, he still sees what he used to see before.

If this doesnt make sense to you, go to www.sell-my-books.com and leave me a message from the front page so I have your email address. I can send you an explanation with screen shots of what I mean, then and maybe that will help.

Greg.

More
11 years 11 months ago #106088 by cheyennemtnman
Replied by cheyennemtnman on topic Re: private content per user
Can this not be done in basic Joomla as well ... set up a group per user?

More
11 years 11 months ago #106089 by Gregwh
Replied by Gregwh on topic Re: private content per user

cheyennemtnman wrote: Can this not be done in basic Joomla as well ... set up a group per user?

In fact, yes. I have done JUST that using basic Joomla ACLs on www.readournovels.com where, as a non-registered viewer of the site, in the main menu panel you see 4 links. If you are a registered reader and logon, in that same panel you see the same 4 links but as an AUTHOR on the site you see 5 links in there and one of the 4 links you used to see is gone and replaced by another that anyone below an author cannot see. As a Super User there are 6 links there. While that isnt exactly making a page per user it is demonstrating the same idea. I can create a user level called John Smith for a user named John Smith and then create a home page for the site that only he can see or I can create a different home page for each user level if I like. Fairly simple to do, really. It just took me a little while, at first, to realise that what Joomla ACLS react as and what is written in the Joomla ACL docs are actually in reverse. Luckily, I like puzzles like that one.

More
11 years 10 months ago #106090 by Elias Stassinos
Replied by Elias Stassinos on topic Re: private content per user
This is somewhat what i have been asking on another post...

So if i have 5000 users i must have 5000 groups, 5000 permission sets and 5000 menus and 5000 categories?

is this the only way?

joomla will feel ok with this?

Elias