Keyword

hiding categories

More
11 years 11 months ago #106227 by mili
hiding categories was created by mili
Please how can I prevent users from particular groups from viewing categories to which they don't access? Urgent !!!!! :) : )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago - 11 years 11 months ago #106228 by Gregwh
Replied by Gregwh on topic Re: hiding categories

mili wrote: Please how can I prevent users from particular groups from viewing categories to which they don't access? Urgent !!!!! :) : )

I know you said CATEGORIES but you might find this better. You can post any K2 item ANYWHERE on your site using this below and only those with that access level can see it. So, if you have Site Admins and they post in any area but use ONLY Site Admin access level when posting, then anyone with that Joomla Viewing Access level will see it on your K2 site but no-one else.

You have to do it by access level containment. Eg, go to Components/K2 and choose User Groups.

So, say you have three categories and 1 is dogs, 2 is cats and 3 is public. The DOGS category is for dog people ONLY and the cat for CAT people only and of course there are public areas for anyone who is just REGISTERED or not logged on. Create a JOOMLA User Group with the name DOGS then a JOOMLA Viewing access level with the name DOGS and tick DOGS in the list. Do the same with CATS. Go to Site, Global Configuration, Permissions and change Site Login to ALLOWED for both of them or neither will be able to logon.

In K2, Go to USER GROUPS and create a DOGS group and choose to filter ALL. This means that wherever there is a posting with DOGS access no matter where in the site, DOGS access can read it and others cant. Do the same with CATS. Now go to Users and tick each user you want to have DOGS access only and click MOVE and in both the Joomla and K2 windows, choose DOGS and save it. Do the same for cats.

Now, change any K2 ITEM (which is a posting in any area on the site) that is for DOGS access to DOGS and same for CATS.

When the user logs on they can see everything they saw before AND those things that they are allowed for DOGS access, without seeing CATS access or anything higher such as Super user or any Site Admin you may have set up and when a CATS user logs on they can see all stuff a public or registered user can see and only CATS stuff on top of that. It doesnt matter where the posting is made on the site, it you change the K2 item to the correct access name, it is then only available to that access level.

I have, on www.sell-my-books.com a user level I play around with to test things with called TESTER and under Action and Adventure section is a test item called test 5 and it has TESTER access level on it. I also have AUTHOR access level for Book authors and personally I have SUPER USER access level on my own site (or Site Owner in K2) and neither Authors nor myself can see that TESTER posting because I have not given Joomla Viewing Access Level rights to the TESTER level. If I want MYSELF to see it i have to go add that but I didnt because it is a good test that it is definitely hidden.

Once you have set that all up, create a fake account and use MOVE to move to the right level names to see if you can see the postings OK. I find it ALWAYS a good idea to have a fake user name account for testing things.

More
11 years 11 months ago #106229 by mili
Replied by mili on topic Re: hiding categories
Thanks a lot!!! :) :)
but Can I prevent users from a particular K2 user group from viewing other categories which they have no access to because there are many K2 groups and scrolling is stressfull.