Keyword

Questions about how to proceed with customisations

• Kelsey Brookes
  • Kelsey Brookes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #106941 by Kelsey Brookes
Hi there,

I'm working on a site for an agency that represents professional speakers and we're creating extremely customised profile pages for these speakers.

I want to be able to create an override for item.php that incorporates a lot of these customisations, but I need some help to figuring out the best way forward.

Categorisation
Each speaker will be in their own category, with subcategories for their content:

Speaker Name Category
--- Testimonials
--- Topics
--- Videos
--- Products

The speaker will also be an author in the system (they submit articles that the agency publishes on the site and we want to easily be able to tie in recent items from them as 'authors') and their own profile item will be assigned to their user.

Is it possible to insert items from subcategories if the structure is known?
For example, under each speaker's category, we will ALWAYS have Topics and Testimonials. Their profile won't go live until we have this data.

Here's the three examples for how I'd subcategories:

1) I'd like to pull in a list of item titles and item full texts from the subcategory of /topics.
(The plan is present these as an accordion).

2) I'd like to pull in a list of item full texts from the subcategory /testimonials and the data from a specific extra field for that category.
(These would be presented as a single random testimonial)

3) I'd like to pull in a list of item images, item titles and item introtexts from the subcategory /products and show a list of up to their latest 5 products.

Is it possible to retrieve a list of items by ($this->item->created_by_alias) that has more than just item titles?
I've been unable to even find a module or method that can can do this.

Essentially what I'm after is the equivalent of mod_k2_content item list with title, link on title, created data, image and introtext (limited by word), but only for ($this->item->created_by_alias), the specific user assigned to that profile item.

I've figured this one out, see post 3

Create menu by a extra field group
I'd like to create a menu that is a list of all the extra fields within a specific extra field group that will be on every page of the site. The extra fields will contain the list of speaking topics ('Innovation', 'Performance', 'Collaboration', for example) and each will link to an itemList of all items that area assigned that specific extra field.

That last one is something I can probably achieve with off-the-shelf modules, but most of them come as drop-down forms - a lot harder to style and manage than a list with links!

Any help in this matter would be appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kelsey Brookes
  • Elite Member
More
11 years 10 months ago #106942 by Kelsey Brookes
Replied by Kelsey Brookes on topic Re: Questions about how to proceed with customisations
I've figured out how to retrieve more than just the title of itemAuthorLatest - I can get the title, date created and intro text. I can't get the image tho, which is baffling me.

Here's what I've got:

• Kelsey Brookes
  • Elite Member
More
11 years 10 months ago #106943 by Kelsey Brookes
Replied by Kelsey Brookes on topic Re: Questions about how to proceed with customisations
For those who are interested, I've solved the issues with automatically pulling a list of the author's latest items into a template override with titles, dates, introtext and image.

Here's the code that makes it work (with additional unnecessary markup for my template):

More
11 years 10 months ago #106944 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: Questions about how to proceed with customisations
Are you using this for category_item.php or item.php?

• Kelsey Brookes
  • Elite Member
More
11 years 10 months ago #106945 by Kelsey Brookes
I'm using it for item.php.

I've started on what I consider to be a dodgy, dodgy way of pulling in subcategory data:
  • The category layout template shown in the original question is copied exactly
  • The master and all subcategories copied simultaneously

• Then the catIDs increment in a predictable way. If they aren't copied simultaneously it will all break. So I'm not happy with this solution, but I'm trying to figure out how to make it work.

However, the names of the subcategories will always be constant , so if there's a way to search with this logic, I'd feel a lot happier about it:

IF category name = products
    AND the category is a subcategory of the current item's category
    THEN display the last X number of items with title, date, image and introtext

Does that make sense?

More
    11 years 10 months ago #106946 by william white
    Replied by william white on topic Re: Questions about how to proceed with customisations
    plz see my profile and email me, i am interested in what your doing

• Kelsey Brookes
    • Elite Member
    More
    11 years 10 months ago #106947 by Kelsey Brookes
    Thanks William, I'm writing to you now!

• Kelsey Brookes
    • Elite Member
    More
    11 years 10 months ago #106948 by Kelsey Brookes
    Hi William,

Have you had any further thoughts on how I could achieve what I'm attempting?

K

More
    11 years 10 months ago #106949 by william white
    never got an email....on skype now