Keyword

Set up a Magazine as Joomla.com does

• N. Richard
  • N. Richard's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 9 months ago #108325 by N. Richard
Set up a Magazine as Joomla.com does was created by N. Richard
Hello,

I am new to K2 and try to set up a Magazine just like Joomla does on its site (magazine.joomla.org). This is exactly what I need: Magazine issues at given dates with a table of contents, a list of issue contributors, featured articles etc.

I could not figure out what is the module used for the table of content. This module displays all the articles in the current category (categories are: 2012 November, 2012 December etc.), organised by tag (tags are content section: Editors Introduction, Project News etc.).

If anybody knows...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 9 months ago #108326 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: Set up a Magazine as Joomla.com does
Hi. This is a custom made module, it's not part of K2.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• N. Richard
More
11 years 9 months ago #108327 by N. Richard
Replied by N. Richard on topic Re: Set up a Magazine as Joomla.com does
Thank you for your answer.

That's why I could not find it ;-)

Do you know if it is based on an existing module (if yes: which one?) or if it was developed from scratch?
Is there any hope that we can get it from the Joomla team (without support)?

• N. Richard
More
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #108328 by N. Richard
Replied by N. Richard on topic Re: Set up a Magazine as Joomla.com does
Well, I spent some time thinking on it and this is what I'm going to do to have the same Table of Content ("In this Issue" module) as Joomla.com does in its Magazine (magazine.joomla.org)...

Set up a "Related by category" module using the standard K2 Content module and Modules Anywhere extension (www.nonumber.nl/extensions/modulesanywhere) as explained in this video:
www.slurpitup.com/joomla/how-to-add-related-items-by-category-in-k2-joomla
Except that the Modules Anywhere code {module Related by category|category_id=...} will be used in a new custom module named "In this Issue" rather than in K2 template files.

I will configure the "Related by category" module so that:
- All the items (articles) in the same category as the current item (or category when in Category View) are displayed
- Items are sorted by item order

Doing this, I will get a Table of Content without sections (Editors Introduction, Project News etc.). Remember, sections are tags in Joomla Magazine... So I will override the module template so that when displaying items, each time the tag of an item is different from the previous item listed, this tag is displayed.

That's it! No code hack, just some modules configuration and template override, I think that's the best I can do!