Keyword

Exploiting tags and exploiting Joomla

• David Lohan
  • David Lohan's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 9 months ago #108638 by David Lohan
Exploiting tags and exploiting Joomla was created by David Lohan
I currently do not use K2 on my website. I have been examine it as a candidate however. I have to admit that I find Joomlanis often very limited and K2 seems to follow in the tradition if missed opportunities, which. I ascribe to lack of central planning.

My website uses FJ Related Blog Articles Component which achieves, to a limited extent, what I require. The site (www.PalermoProtocol.com) is dedicated to the issue of human trafficking and its victims. I can list articles (showing the first few words of some articles) based on a selection of keywords. This allows me to create, in effect, a database of articles for a particular term based on a number of keywords. Say, for example, I want to create an FJ Related menu item for articles that refer to the United Nation. I create the menu item, advising which, if any, category articles are to be used and I list the keywords to search for (eg. UN, U.N., UNHCR, UNODC, ILO, etc). Thus all UN articles are pulled together transparently.

What fascinates me with Joomla, and here too with K2, that having extended capabilities, such as the addition of tags, that little priority seems to be given to the logical steps that should follow from enhancements. At present there seems to be no equivalent in K2 that permits me to replicate what I have already achieved, albeit with limts, even though K2 should be naturally more attuned to just this kind of undertaking.

I have researched K2 and learned that it s possible to create menu items for one tag, that there are extensions which it possible to have Joomla suggest similar articles based in the current article and I have learned too that there are others who have tried, in K2, to achieve what I now seek. Yet this s not possible. It ought to be fairly logical that a system which introduces tags would have less need for categories, and more need for tag-related technologies.

Alas ths has been what I have come of experience of Joomla over the last few years. It often gets you 98% of the way towards the goal, only to fail at the last hurdle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.