Keyword

Getting Started Guide?

• John Wargo
  • John Wargo's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 8 months ago #108869 by John Wargo
Getting Started Guide? was created by John Wargo
I'm so sorry to ask this, but where's the documentation for K2? I've been to the documentation area of the getk2.org web site, but there's not much there. There are articles about template overrides, which if you don't know anything about K2 won't help you. It looks like there's a lot of capabilities in K2, but I can't seem to find an overview of all of the capabilities anywhere nor can I find material that shows me how to use the different features. I've watched through a bunch of the videos on the site and I'm watching the 'Build a professional grade web site with K2' video right now, but I'm 13 minutes into it and nothing yet about K2.

Isn't there a user guide? Isn't there something that takes a new person through what it is, what it can do and how to use it? I've been using Joomla for years and I know it quite well, but I'd sure like to know more about K2 and don't know how to do that except to simply poke at it and see what I can make it do. That seems...inefficient.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #108870 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: Getting Started Guide?
try the ostraining videos under docs at the top

More
11 years 8 months ago #108871 by Attila Toth
Replied by Attila Toth on topic Re: Getting Started Guide?
My problem is absolutely the same.

Sorry for my hard words, I do not want to hurt you but I have spent 3 days on getting started and now I am not so far away from the first steps.

I am trying to geting started whith K2 which is maybe a usefull component (who knows, at the moment I am not sure it is or not) but it is seems to be impossible to have any infromations on getting started.

The video J.Wargo mentioned is useless because I can not see anything on the screen, and can not hear a word because of the awfull sound quality. (Should I say that the first half of the video is focusing on installing Joomla and template and so on, which are irrelevant for me after 3 years of web development using Joomla!)

But this is not the point.

The point is, that video tutorials can not substitute documentation. Not even for non native english speakers, like me. If there is a doc, wher I can read the way of use, I can learn anything. Video tutorials are just commercials, but not sources of knowledge for me.

So my request and advise is to make written tutorials for users, because the downloads of the component is not the point, if the downloaders (like me) can not use the component.

At the moment I am on the way to make my desired catalog without K2, because I can not get it work. (I feel like a fool...)

Thank you and good luck.

If K2 can extend Joomla's content management then K2 is an excelent thing. Please let me know it can!

Attila