Keyword

Items, menus and categories not syncing.

More
11 years 8 months ago #108880 by Alex
Hello there,

First, sorry for the title, but im not english native and could not find the proper way to explain this particular problem in a short prhase.

To explain this, lets assume that i have a category called "wow" and one item published on it, i have also a menu called "wow" where i can find all the items on category "wow".

I use some component to show the item in frontpage, so, when i click on the title , it correctly sends me to the item page, till here, all ok.

The issue is that the menu have not changed, im still on frontpage, im looking for some way to show the item in the correct category, so in example, breadcrumbs will show me something similar to "You are here: Homepage -> wow category-> Item title" Instead of " You are here: Homepage -> Item title".

Sorry, this is difficult to explain and as i said, my english is very poor.

Hope i've explained myself correctly. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #108881 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: Items, menus and categories not syncing.
I use some component to show the item in frontpag (what have you used?)
your breadcrumbs will usually start out by the top category by default, not the page

More
11 years 8 months ago #108882 by snlr
I have the same problem.

Let's say I have a category cars and order them by brands into subcateogies. I'll end up with Ford, Toyota, etc. All of these are full with cars. Now I make a menu item called cars, let it list all sub categories, and as a result, the user sees lots of different cars when his menu says he's at frontpage --> cars --> Toyota.

When he clicks on a car though, to go from category listing to the item details, the menu doesn't follow, he's not "in" cars, he's not even "in" Toyota, and the URL is also back to frontpage, only says domainname.com/item/name-of-item, when it should be domain/cars/toyota/name-of-item

This also affects the category display settings and the logistics of modules.

It doesn't work as expected. Hopefully I'm just missing something.

Can someone explain this behaviour and how to tame it?

thank you