Keyword

Happy but somewhat frustrated K2-beginner

More
11 years 8 months ago #109178 by T68
Hi!
I really like the features that K2 add to Joomla. But I find it a rough road to get all working after installing K2, especially if you´re not so experienced with Joomla, templating, coding and stuff. So I figured I share some things that hasn´t gone so well. Maybe this can help others:

1. K2 templates are hard to use if your site has dark background theming. Don´t know if I missed something but I have had to do quite alot of css-fixing to get things looking ok.

2. After installing K2 and migrating I had to manually re-link my menu to get any K2 related content to show. I found nothing about this in the documentation. Had a couple of frustrating hours before I figured this out.

3. Getting front page editing was also a bit hard to figure out. You had to adjust user roles and stuff to get the edit button to show up when logged in from outside, Found help in the forum but nothing in the documentation.

4. Adding links in articles to K2 content in the JCE editor requires a plugin. Also information that I could not find at once but had to search in the forum for.

5. Don´t know... but I have the feeling that next time I want to do something with K2 I will run into another issue that I will solve, but it will take time and effort to find the solution.

All and all: K2 is a great tool but really needs a "K2 for dummies" (like me), FAQ:S and a step-by-step guide for first time users which pinpoints and informs about crucial stuff like above.

I also have full respect for this beeing an open source project whith limited resources and dev:s have to and should focus on developing. But good, easy to use manuals could spare you time answering stupid questions in supportforums.

Finally a disclaimer to all above:
But hey: maybe there is all this nfo somewher around here in one place, but I haven´t managed to find it. I´m a guy and my wife tells me allt the time time that I suck at finding stuff :-).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #109179 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: Happy but somewhat frustrated K2-beginner
Good Job, Consider writing a blog post to add to tips and tricks and it will be much appreciated by many. Also, thanks for the spirit of your post!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.