Keyword

Create list menu from specific extra fields

• Kelsey Brookes
  • Kelsey Brookes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
More
11 years 8 months ago #109677 by Kelsey Brookes
Create list menu from specific extra fields was created by Kelsey Brookes
Hi there, this has been asked a couple of times previously without an answer (or at least not the one I'm looking for!).

I know the name of the extra field I want to call, but I'd like to make it a menu in the site's template rather than the item.php override.

I know that jomcar and Joomlart both have modules which create drop-downs from extra fields, but these are created as selects, not lists with links - it's the latter I really need.

Is there anything in the post 2.6.2 updates to extrafields that would allow me to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #109678 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: Create list menu from specific extra fields
If you are talking about a menu in the normal menu position, i have not seen anything already built to do it. I assume you are talking about putting a url into an xtra field and using it as a menu item. If you could declare a variable globlal and put the value of the xtra field in question in it and then use that to poplulate an external url type menu item that might work.

If you can use a sidebar menu, then the module that allows split content could be used (very customized) and create a sidebar menu that would be dynamic depending on the item you are currently looking at and the value or values of the xtra fields in the item...
interesting -

• Kelsey Brookes
  • Elite Member
More
11 years 8 months ago #109679 by Kelsey Brookes
Replied by Kelsey Brookes on topic Re: Create list menu from specific extra fields
Not quite....

Basically we have a bunch of profiles of people who speak on specific topics. Those topics overlap from profile to profile.

There's an extra field in the 'profiles' category called 'topics'.

It's a multi-select as speakers usually speak on more than one topic.

I need a menu that contains every single value in the 'topics' extra field, when any given topic is clicked it returns a list of all speakers who have that topic value selected in their profile's item.

• Kelsey Brookes
  • Elite Member
More
11 years 8 months ago #109680 by Kelsey Brookes
Replied by Kelsey Brookes on topic Re: Create list menu from specific extra fields
Hi again William, I just email the link to the site in question.

Just below the logo you'll note two drop-downs with radically different behaviours.

The reason I want to achieve the result outlined in the first post is to try and harmonise the use of these dropdowns.

The topic drop-down is using Jomcar's K2 Filter & Search module
The speaker drop-down is using a joomla menu

Because the topic drop-down is a select, it can't be set to trigger on hover and can't be styled similarly to the speaker dropdown.

The speaker drop-down on the other hand can't work with K2 Filter & Search because we need it to go straight to the speaker - If we use an extra field (and we've tried this) with a change in the code that redirects to the only item in the list if there's only one result, there is an unacceptable 'hitch' on the transitionary results page that doesn't fully load before going to the actual page. It's messy and slow enough to be confusing.

So the ideal would be to get the topic menu behaving like the speaker menu.

More
11 years 8 months ago #109681 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: Create list menu from specific extra fields

If we use an extra field (and we've tried this) with a change in the code that redirects to the only item in the list if there's only one result

Have you considered using tags to relate the items, and calling a tag view with the single menu you speak of?

• Kelsey Brookes
  • Elite Member
More
11 years 8 months ago #109682 by Kelsey Brookes
We're using tags extensively elsewhere in the site for news and linking content to specific speakers - as far as I know, there's no tag categorisation that'd allow us to only use a specific sub-set of tags AND have it update dynamically as we add new topics.

More
11 years 5 months ago #109683 by Alan Sparkes
Replied by Alan Sparkes on topic Re: Create list menu from specific extra fields
Nice to see you still active on K2 William!

Kelsey did you resolve this?

Are you wanting to show a menu of links in a specific position on an item view driven by extrafield values from that item?

• Kelsey Brookes
  • Elite Member
More
11 years 5 months ago #109684 by Kelsey Brookes
No, unfortunately not. I've wound up having to hardcode the menu based off values from a dynamic menu module.

This module basically does what I need it to do, but unfortunately acts like an option select, rather than a list:

joomcar.net/

Now that the site is launched, I can just show you.

If you go to this page:

odemanagement.com/speakers.html

You see a 'speaker filter' at the top right, below the menu. The 'subjects' drop down is being driven by the jomcar module, which creates an option-select menu from the values of a specific extra field value.

It should be fairly clear what that subject drop-down does.

The key is that it does not need to be on the item page. It can be part of every page on the site.

But I needed it display it as a typical list-driven menu and you can see the hard-coded version of it under the logo: the topics drop down.

All I want to be able to do is to make that topic drop-down dynamic, using values from that specific extra field using a list format rather than an option-select. And use it site-wide.

K