Keyword

Best way to use K2 Categories

More
11 years 7 months ago #110908 by Brian
Best way to use K2 Categories was created by Brian
I'm doing a newsletter in Joomla and need to be able to organize my articles in multiple categories, and sort by those, so, I'm hoping that K2 will help me with that since Joomla doesn't natively support multiple categories.

So, I'm looking for any ideas on how to best organize the categories in the newsletter so I don't have to re-build it multiple times.

The articles appear on the homepage based on certain categories (Banner feature, thumbnail feature, Personal story or generic article). So, I was going to use those for the different "categories" since a story will only exist in ONE of those places.

BUT, each article can also be either a News Story, Action required, Event or Announcement...and can only exist in ONE of those places. This is more to display an image with each article, not for any other purpose than that, really.

AND, each article can also be classified as different types, for example, Diversity, Customer, Global, Operations, etc. But the article can appear in MULTIPLE categories here. And, ideally, the user would be able to click one of these categories and view all the articles in that category.

So, should I make ALL of these items into Categories and just select whichever multiple ones I need for each article??

Thanks for any direction.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #110909 by william white
Replied by william white on topic Re: Best way to use K2 Categories
The default behavior of k2 is for an item to belong only to one category and use tags to relate items from different categories.
There is an addin for k2 that allows an item to belong to multiple categories

You might take a look at gavicks world news template and see how they have things arranged as they support k2 in a newspaper type template

More
11 years 6 months ago #110910 by Brian
Replied by Brian on topic Re: Best way to use K2 Categories
William,

Excellent! Very helpful.

I'm thinking I'll use the "location" of story as the categories, since the articles will only fit into one of those and that determines where it appears on the homepage. And then I'll use tags for all the rest of the different organization elements.

Thanks!