Keyword

item image from remote server

• Dimitrios petasis
  • Dimitrios petasis's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 6 months ago #111790 by Dimitrios petasis
item image from remote server was created by Dimitrios petasis
Hello to all,
first of all i want to thank the k2 team for this fantastic work they made in k2 component. the reason that i am here, is because i want to make a request for adding a new feature in k2 items. i have a gaming website based on joomla and this site doesn't host any media, instead i have a media server where i upload all of my media. so if an article has images i get the links directly from my media server. now in k2 items, for the item image we have only 2 options, either to upload a picture or browse for one in the server. So is it possible to add a third option in the item image UI in order to use an image from a remote server?

if anyone else knows how to make modification adding this option in k2 he will be more than welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 6 months ago #111791 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: item image from remote server
Hello Dimitri,

I am sorry but K2 does not support this feature, but if I may ask why don't you use a CDN for this?
I think it will be much cheaper for you.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Dimitrios petasis
More
11 years 5 months ago #111792 by Dimitrios petasis
Replied by Dimitrios petasis on topic Re: item image from remote server

Krikor Boghossian wrote: Hello Dimitri,

I am sorry but K2 does not support this feature, but if I may ask why don't you use a CDN for this?
I think it will be much cheaper for you.

Because currently my site is mostly maintained by me and because i don't have enough money to use a content delivery network. lets say that i am using a CDN how will it be beneficial to me?

More
11 years 5 months ago #111793 by xaoc
Replied by xaoc on topic Re: item image from remote server
This problem makes me crazy too. I work it out with adding to my K2 an extrafield image/file, populate it with the remote hosted image and format the extrafield output with template override so, that it looks like the original image of K2.

• Dimitrios petasis
More
11 years 5 months ago #111794 by Dimitrios petasis
Replied by Dimitrios petasis on topic Re: item image from remote server

xaoc wrote: This problem makes me crazy too. I work it out with adding to my K2 an extrafield image/file, populate it with the remote hosted image and format the extrafield output with template override so, that it looks like the original image of K2.

I dont want to use extra fields beacause i already use them in my reviews, do you know any other way how to tweak this? i have over 1000 items in one category and their images require lots of space in my server.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 5 months ago #111795 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: item image from remote server
K2 keeps the original image as well, if you want some space freed up you might want to delete the src images located at media/k2/items/src remember not to delete this folder and leave the index.html in it as well.

You can try this at your own responsibility.
PS always have a backup

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)