• LUXE HIGH's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 5 months ago #112014 by LUXE HIGH
Hi All,

I installed on my site 2.6.6
I am facing strange problem,

In Menu item i assigned categories to show items such as

luxehighlife.com/beauty

(in backend i assigned three categories to show items in beauty menu, as beauty is main categorie and All three are child categories of Beauty)

Now When i published article in One of child categorie (beauty-must-haves)

luxehighlife.com/beauty-must-haves/five-deluxe-spring-2013-must-haves

Above is Original URL to tell Google, But i can see i can access same URL under beauty

luxehighlife.com/beauty/five-deluxe-spring-2013-must-haves

This was not happening in old versions. Same if i want to show soem items from tag, it will show with new url beside actual categorie. same like above scenario.

Please can you help me to resolve issues. I am facing. I dont want to show dual URL to tell google. Please someone can help here. This is 3rd post.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 5 months ago #112015 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: Please help to avoid multiple URLs for K2 Items
Hello Luxe,

Try assigning all categories to menu items not just the parent one.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• LUXE HIGH
More
11 years 5 months ago #112016 by LUXE HIGH
Hi Krikor,

I already assigned all categories to menu item, Structure as follows

1- Beauty (menu Item) (This includes Subcategories in beauty)

Beauty
- Beauty Must-haves
- Beauty-Guide
- Beauty Secrets

To show separately with another menu

2. Beauty -Must-Haves an other menu Item assigned behind only one categorie.(beauty must have)
3- Beauty Guide an other menu item assigned behind only one categorie.(beauty Guide)
4- Beauty Secrets an other menu item assigned behind only one categorie.(beauty Guide)

I above case I assigned two times Categories to menu item thats why its happening ?

Thanks

• LUXE HIGH
More
11 years 5 months ago #112017 by LUXE HIGH
Also WOrst Scenario for me is , For example i want to show some items from one tag Let say Gucci,

When i am assigning one tag to menu item, its again behaving as above mentioned. why is that so ?

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 5 months ago #112018 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: Please help to avoid multiple URLs for K2 Items
Are you using any SEF/SEO extensions?

From your source code I can see that either your template has some built in SEO functions either you are using an SEO extension.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• LUXE HIGH
More
11 years 5 months ago #112019 by LUXE HIGH
Hi
Thanks for your reply,

I am not using any single SEO extension :(

I contacted templete managers also but no clue :(

Regards

More
10 years 6 months ago #112020 by Fabio
Hi, I have to revive this topic because this problem is quite serious in my opinion, and it is affecting my website, no update of anything can solve the problem.
As you can see also in your showcase, the problem does exist:
This is the correct url:
opinion24.gr/opinions/item/3819-giorgos-kraloglou-baltakos-kasidiaris-kai-ksero-psomi
But this (incredibly) works as well:
opinion24.gr/good-things/item/3819-giorgos-kraloglou-baltakos-kasidiaris-kai-ksero-psomi

Maybe the problem is related to the use of sh404SEF? I see none of us is using categories id....
I will say, in addition, that I am not using any other seo stuff, it happens both in localhost and online, it's been happening since forever, all categories have their own menu item, there is no k2 file overwritten by the template (also, it can't be a template issue, since the problem occurs even with Joomla default templates).
What is worse is that even if there are no links to those urls, Google is indexing them, and complaining for multiple urls, it's also useless to set redirects or anything else, it just keep seeing the wrong urls and using them.

Suggestions?

More
10 years 6 months ago #112021 by Lefteris
Hi. This is how Joomla! URLs work. The question is where is the second link generated in your site. I don't know what's your setup in SH404SEF but regarding K2 if you create a menu link to the category of the item ( is it opinions ? ) then all K2 generated links pointing to this item would be the same. Of course this covers the core K2 views and modules. If you are using any 3rd party K2 extensions then this has to do with them, and the way they generate the links.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #112022 by Fabio
Hi Lefteris, thank you for your reply.
I am actually having a hard time understanding how this is supposed to be a feature, not a bug, considering that any article is reachable from any possible category.

See this example: if I have a category structure like this

-MainCategory
--SubCat1
--SubCat2

Item1 is under SubCat1, and I have 3 menu items, one for each category, listing the articles of that category (and only them), consider that even articles listed in the menu item "MainCategory" (I made it to list all the articles in one place) still have the expected link (that is: not www.mydomain.com/MainCategory/item*). Now, Item1 has as expected URL:
www.mydomain.com/SubCat1/Item1

but also
www.mydomain.com/SubCat2/Item1

and
www.mydomain.com/MainCategory/Item1

work. I could accept the logic behind making the last one a valid link (even if completely failing the SEO best practices), since it's the root category, but I can't understand the second link, since that category has nothing to do with Item1. Sure, there are menu items pointing to categories, but there is one and only one for each of them, so I expect this not to have a global uncontrolled effect.

What I think you say is that if I create a menu item called SubCat2 pointing to the category SubCat1, then the above link will be valid, but this is not the case, every category has its own menu item (that is: Item1 only appear in the articles listed under the menu item called "SubCat1"). So I would expect a 404 if I try to use a random category for a specific item in its url.
Am I missing something?

More
10 years 5 months ago #112023 by Lefteris
As i already told you this how Joomla! works. But the second and the third links are not generated by K2. You just typed them, right? Google will never index those links as far as they don't appear in your site.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---