Keyword

images blurry

• Steve Vick
  • Steve Vick's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 5 months ago #112609 by Steve Vick
images blurry was created by Steve Vick
Hi,
I have set my image quality to 100%. I have set all my image sizes, xsmall (80px) through to my xlarge (300px). (I know my xlarge is not that large).

I have searched the web for answers but could find anything useful. I have experimented with all the parameters but I still cannot get a good image quality to show up for my items. See site here: test.awg2014.org/index.php/raavees-locker

Also, even though my xlarge is set to 300px, when I click on an item, the image is still HUGE.

I am not a novice developer, so if I need to tweak some code that is fine. But I am just amazed at how poor the image quality is.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 5 months ago #112610 by Eric
Replied by Eric on topic Re: images blurry
your images are being scaled to multiple times there size, looks like your 80px, is being scaled (enlarged) to 158px, and your 120px, is being scaled to 660px, i'd suggest, upping the image settings by quite a bit

300px for xlarge is quite tiny, i wouldn't really even consider that med.. i'd think with xlarge you'll want atleast 700px

the images scale up and down with the screen res. of the end user, so it's better to set it nice and high and then have the page scale it down to the needs of the end user (at a screen res. of 1280x960, your 120x120 is being scaled up to 840x840, that's 7x bigger making for major major blur)

what you set the res. to in the backend doesn't mean that much cause whatever screen res. the person visiting your store has will determine the size

i like to modify things, and make them do unintended things

• Steve Vick
More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #112611 by Steve Vick
Replied by Steve Vick on topic Re: images blurry

Eric wrote: your images are being scaled to multiple times there size, looks like your 80px, is being scaled (enlarged) to 158px, and your 120px, is being scaled to 660px, i'd suggest, upping the image settings by quite a bit

I am getting the images from a client and most of them or 300x300 or less. That is why my xlarge is so small. I really have no control over that.

I just deleted the k2 cache and originals from my server. Then I re-uploaded a picture (300x300) that my client sent. It just looks horrible? I also added another image to test a larger size (1280x1024) and it looks bad too.

what is going on?

More
11 years 5 months ago #112612 by Eric
i'm not sure how much this'll help, but try this:

(i'm assuming your item pages are k2 item's for this)

on the sidebar of the item edit screen and go to the "Item view options" section of the sidebar and change "Image size" from "inherit from category" to XLarge, then save and look

More
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #112613 by Eric
from what i can tell i think it's the theme your using that is causing the issue

i seem to have the same issue with my main theme, as in while i can choose what size i want in the backend, the images still get blown up on the front end, but if i switch to any of the basic built-in joolma theme's like beez2, then the image stays the same size, and it properly show the image at the size you want

try changing the theme of your pages to something basic that came with jommla, like beez20, or beez5, and see if that fixes the issue

• Steve Vick
More
11 years 5 months ago #112614 by Steve Vick
Replied by Steve Vick on topic Re: images blurry
Well I'll be... I changed the theme and it works like it is suppose to. Thanks. This doesn't fix my problem but at least I know where to go with my questions.

Much appreciated.