Keyword

[SOLVED] Can comments relate to categories instead of items

• Tim Robins
  • Tim Robins's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 4 months ago #113807 by Tim Robins
Hi

Firstly, I'd just like to say that I started out with K2 a couple of days ago and am already loving it!

I have the following query.

Is there an option to attach comments to categories, instead of the (child) items inside those categories?

The reason I ask is that I am developing a train website, and each of the destination cities (eg "Paris") is a K2 category.

Each category contains K2 items, each of which is a journey going to that destination. For example, the "Paris" category contains K2 items "London to Paris" and "Amsterdam to Paris".

When a user loads, say, the London to Paris page, I'd like them to be able to comment on it. However, I want these comments to be about Paris in general (the parent category), and not that specific journey (the K2 item).

In other words, I'd like all comments on the "London to Paris" and "Paris to Amsterdam" pages to be a property of "Paris" (the parent category), not the (child) K2 items. So when a user views "London to Paris" or "Paris to Amsterdam", the comments they see will be the same in each case and will be the comments for the "Paris" category.

If this is not possible within the basic K2 comments component, does anyone know of any K2-compatible comments extensions which could do this? I already asked Komento, and it's not possible with them.

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work!

Regards

Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 4 months ago #113808 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: Can comments relate to categories instead of items
Hello Tim,

I can only think of two options.
a) Develop a custom K2 plugin to fit your needs.
b) Use a service like Disqus and in the identifier instead of using the article title, link or ID use the category ID or even better use the category name with md5().

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Tim Robins
More
11 years 4 months ago #113809 by Tim Robins
Thanks krikor,

I have gone for option B.

Hopefully, it won't be too difficult to add custom Disqus categories. I've downloaded the Disqus for K2 plugin: I haven't used it yet, but am hoping it will avoid the need to delve into the Disqus api.

Regards

Tim

• Tim Robins
More
11 years 4 months ago #113810 by Tim Robins
Hi Krikor

Just a quick one to say that option B worked a treat.

You have no idea how many hours of searching and toiling you just saved me: thanks a lot!!

Best regards

Tim

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 4 months ago #113811 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Can comments relate to categories instead of items
Thank you so much for you kind words. I m glad I could help you

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)