Keyword

Different images, same article

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #114763 by Gimpy
Different images, same article was created by Gimpy
On my website I plan on having a few different spots where articles will be displayed, much like a Wordpress blog for instance where you have different blocks of different sizes showing links to articles.

Quick version: what I'd like to do, I get the impression is the same as an intro image.

Let's say on the homepage of my website I have a spot for recent articles. In that spot there is a smaller version of the main article image say 150x150px.

Now I understand the different sizes you can set in K2 however what I want to do is not always going to be just a shrunken down version of a 600 or 900px wide image. That wouldn't look right.

So then I wondered about cropping but the cropping functions seem quite limited in K2.

Which brings me to my point, I'm asking if there is a way to accomplish one of two things with K2. Either:
1. Upload the main article image, then have the ability to upload a second smaller image to display on the homepage.
or
2. The ability to manually crop, or choose where to crop, the main article image every time I make an article. Rather than the universal setting crop per size since that won't work because not all pictures have the focal point in the same spot.

If there are any alternative methods you can think of I would appreciate any ideas because this is essentially a deal breaker if K2 can't accomplish this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 3 months ago #114764 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: Different images, same article
Hello Gimpy,

You can use an image extrafield for what you want to achieve.

Since K2 v.2.6.2 you can output extrafields directly in your template.
For a quick code snippet you can view this post.

getk2.org/community/New-to-K2-Ask-here-first/171284-Where-to-edit-K2-after-Item-Fields

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
11 years 3 months ago #114765 by Gimpy
Replied by Gimpy on topic Re: Different images, same article
Is there a way to use that extra field for my image, and not show it on the article? Right now when I publish an article it shows the extra field at the bottom of the article.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 3 months ago #114766 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: Different images, same article
Yes, you have to edit the item view settings.
These are located in your category's settings.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #114767 by Gimpy
Replied by Gimpy on topic Re: Different images, same article
I have more questions but I can't create a new thread...when I click submit it just brings me to a page where I can logout, it won't submit the new thread.

How can I get the extra field image to be used as the image it shows in a K2 Content module on the homepage?

This is what I want to make a new thread about but I can't submit a new thread as mentioned above:

The start of this post refers to another thread here:
getk2.org/community/New-to-K2-Ask-here-first/178876-Different-images-same-article

But most of this post is about changing the layout and css it uses.

How can I get a K2 Content module to use the image in an extra field on the homepage?
This is the look I'm trying to achieve, for a "Latest News" section:

oi41.tinypic.com/2wdadtj.jpg

But I would like to use a custom image of a different size for the homepage, rather than a mini version of the article image.
I would also like to have it using the css styles for the text, hover effects and readmore button and everything from my template. I add module suffixes from my template to the K2 module but it doesn't work.

This is what it looks like in my news module:
oi42.tinypic.com/oha9x.jpg

But I would like to recreate that look with K2 because the news module won't use the K2 extra field image as I'd like to use with the K2 module. (Unless someone knows where to put the code to get it to grab that image)

This is what it looks like in a "K2 Content" module:
oi40.tinypic.com/s0x279.jpg

and that's the layout I want to change to be more like the first.

Sorry for so many questions, as the category says, New to K2!
Thanks.