Keyword

Many repeating items - How to set same image ?

• Kalesh Suby
  • Kalesh Suby's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 3 months ago #114799 by Kalesh Suby
MAJOR K2 performance ISSUE - Needs Improvement !!

I have many items that repeat everyday - such as news updates etc that use the same exact thumbnail image. The problem is that K2 generates a NEW image each time for a copy of an item. This takes a major performance hit as images with same content are served from different URLS.

How to use SAME image for a duplicated item over and over again unless user wants to have a new image? In other words, duplicated items should use the same image from media/k2/items/cache.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 3 months ago #114800 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: Many repeating items - How to set same image ?
Please have some patience before posting topics like major issue etc.

You can use your media folder, upload your image there and choose it for the browse server button.
Alternatively if you do not want to use your media folder and file manager, simple copy the article and keep the image unaltered.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Kalesh Suby
More
11 years 3 months ago #114801 by Kalesh Suby
Replied by Kalesh Suby on topic Re: Many repeating items - How to set same image ?
Thank you so much for the quick response.

I apologise but it is infact a major issue for me but not necessarily for all others because of the way I use K2. I have been using K2 for almost 2 years and this is my FIRST post about an issue. I have 11,000 K2 articles and 120 categories. So each category has items that repeat itself - Like you said in your post, I copy the K2 article and DO NOT touch the image but STILL a new image gets created each time in media/k2/items/cache folder.

Example - If I post an article "K2 News June 24" with a K2 logo as image, and then copy it the next day as "K2 News June 25" and keep the same image, K2 still renders TWO SEPARATE images for the two articles in media/k2/items/cache folder. I use latest version 2.6.X and just wanted to let you know that this is what happens. If an image is untouched, K2 should not create new image in cache folder - So that is probably an issue for most people and a major issue for people like me who repeat/copy same article 1000 times that creates 6000 images in cache folder.

I have to try uploading the image to the media folder but I am not sure if K2 extensions such as scrollers etc will pick that image as thumbnail. Hence, this may not be the ideal solution.

Please dont get me wrong - K2 is a SUPER GREAT addition to joomla but an issue is an issue and solving it will make the product better. :) and its the duty of users like me to report them.

Thanks

• Kalesh Suby
More
11 years 3 months ago #114802 by Kalesh Suby
Replied by Kalesh Suby on topic Re: Many repeating items - How to set same image ?
Hi,
Any suggestions / code tweaks/ fix for same image not being reused for duplicate items issue?

Thanks

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 3 months ago #114803 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: Many repeating items - How to set same image ?
Unfortunately this cannot be done.

Each image is created and resized using an md5() hash.
What you can do if you wish to use the same image over and over again, you can use extrafields.

As for sliders and slideshows, if you use the the K2 Content module you can safely use extrafields.

A simple snippet can be found here -> getk2.org/community/New-to-K2-Ask-here-first/171284-Where-to-edit-K2-after-Item-Fields

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)