Keyword

[SOLVED] Items repeating multiple times

• Owen Sutton
  • Owen Sutton's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 3 months ago #114967 by Owen Sutton
[SOLVED] Items repeating multiple times was created by Owen Sutton
I've been working with Joomla for a couple of years and very familiar with it. I am however completely new to K2 - my first installation.

I have a menu option linking to a K2 Category, which contain 3 articles. All four articles seems to be repeated for each 'level' (leading, primary, secondary, etc)

You can see the issues here: www.moncf.co.uk/healthy-communities/itemlist/ (site very much a work in progress)

Any ideas why this is happening. I have checked and there is definitely only 3 articles. All articles and categories removed from original Joomla space.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 3 months ago #114968 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: Items repeating multiple times
Hello Owen,

This is an issue related to your template. I think that you have edited K2's default template without overriding it. You should update K2 to 2.6.6 and then start your new overrides from scratch (particularly category.php ).

I don't think you will run into new issues using this method.

More info on templating can be found here getk2.org/documentation/tutorials/174-templating-with-k2-and-the-concepts-of-sub-templates

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Owen Sutton
More
11 years 3 months ago #114969 by Owen Sutton
Replied by Owen Sutton on topic Re: Items repeating multiple times
Hi Krikor,

Thanks for responding. Although I'm afraid I'm a little confused still.

As far as I'm aware i have not edited the default K2 template. I had my custom template working on the basic joomla installation, installed K2, imported/converted the joomla categories and articles into K2, deleted teh original articles and categories and that is it.

Is it possible that something in my template is overriding the K2 template automatically? i thought the K2 elements would simply sit within my standard divs and allow styling via manipulation of the CSS.

i will try a quick update of K2 though - see if that helps.

• Owen Sutton
More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #114970 by Owen Sutton
I updated Joomla to 2.5.11 and then installed K2 2.6.6, but no effect. any ideas where I might start to look for a solution?

It's probbaly worth noting that my custom template involves no overrides, just an index.php, templateDetails.xml and template.css

Thanks

• Owen Sutton
More
11 years 3 months ago #114971 by Owen Sutton
As is I'm sure so often the case. user error is to blame. the link I though t i was clicking was not the same one I was editing. re-linked properly. No works perfectly.

Sorry for wasting people's time.

More
11 years 3 months ago #114972 by Mark Johnson
Replied by Mark Johnson on topic Re: Items repeating multiple times
Interesting I have the same problem as you've described with K2 v2.6.6 on Joomla 3.1.1. I'm a newbie w/ both Joomla and K2, and I've learned quite a bit whilst battling this problem.

I followed this suggestion and made the template override changes here, which made no difference:

More info on templating can be found here getk2.org/documentation/tutorials/174-te...pts-of-sub-templates

Owen, when you say you were clicking the wrong link, maybe you could elaborate. What might have changed with your site that fixed this issue?

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 3 months ago #114973 by Krikor Boghossian
Can you please send a URL of your site?

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #114974 by Mark Johnson

Krikor Boghossian wrote: Can you please send a URL of your site?

[EDIT: due to continuing development, I've removed the menu item sight for unregistered users in the frontend. Post here if you'd like me to again expose this bug for viewing. Right now I'm getting by using the workaround I mention below.]

Yes, the site is: macnampa.org

I've made a discovery relating to this problem. On the site, the Main Menu item "Supplies" is a K2 Categories list with a single chosen category which has a single item (apparently repeated for each of Leading, Primary, Secondary, and Links).

In contrast, the menu item "Management" is also a Categories list, but has two categories selected. It appears to be functioning properly, displaying items from both categories.

The Categories list will also display correctly if one of the selected categories is empty. So my workaround might be to create an always-empty category to include in Category lists so they work right.

If this single category listing behavior is by design, there's something I don't yet understand in the philosophy of K2, but that would be a familiar condition for me, since I'm so low on the learning curve with so many things about Joomla and K2. Ahhh... newbie-ism... exciting and frustrating at the same time.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 3 months ago #114975 by Krikor Boghossian
Thank you for reporting this, we will have to look into it,

Ahhh... newbie-ism... exciting and frustrating at the same time.

No need to get frustrated. Have you watched these vids?

getk2.org/documentation/k2class2012

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #114976 by Mark Johnson
I'm sure this item repetition effect is a bug. I have one other piece of information about it:

I had a category list which exhibited the bug this way:
  • a single item was displayed multiple times.
  • this item was not the only item actually in the category, there were two other items which were not displaying at al
  • when I trashed (then emptied) this single visible item, the category list showed no items at all
  • as soon as I added the 2nd category (a "placeholder" empty category) to the list, the list properly display all remaining items in the category

Good luck tracking this down... If I get more info or attempt to isolate the problem further, I will post more info. Thanks.

P.S. this may be related to the import function because I had a few Joomla articles and categories which I imported into K2, interspersed with new K2 content, although I've seen this effect on all of my categories shown using the category list with only a single category provided for listing.

[EDIT]P.P.S.: AARGHH!! Just after posting this, I realized that my workaround technique (adding a placeholder category) obviously only works when my category list is accessed via a menu item and that I still have the repetition problem when I click on a category as a breadcrumb... maybe elsewhere. What to do???