Keyword

Creating video player page with K2? Possible or no

• Peter Sorensen
  • Peter Sorensen's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 3 months ago #115320 by Peter Sorensen
So... this is one of those "how would you do this" kind of posts. Basically, I want to create a K2 category that is strictly videos. Then I want to style the item to be similar to something like these:

www.giantbomb.com/videos/scribblenauts-unmasked-apparently-features-all-the/2300-7370/
www.ign.com/videos/2013/06/28/playstation-4-up-close-and-personal

Meaning the "media" box would be at the very top of the page with the article title and info to the left or right (as well as maybe some of the extra fields for video length or rating), and then the left column (where the article would normally go) simply has the article title and the comment section.

Any thoughts as to how you would do this? Can you break parts of item.php up into separate positions? Or does it all have to be inside the same module/position? To add on another layer of challenge, what if I wanted to have it be responsive (so that in mobile view, the article title and info appeared above or below the Media box)?

I guess what I'm asking is - does item.php have to occur only in a single place? Or can you call variables of a K2 article from different places in the page? Would it be a matter of having the K2 article at the top and then having a bit of code in it's own module in the left column that would retrieve the K2 article title?

Any thoughts people might have would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #115321 by BBC
It is not precisely "Category" on your links. Difficult to make it with K2. You already have plenty of modules that can show videos. Dont know how easy to mange do you want it.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 3 months ago #115322 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: Creating video player page with K2? Possible or no
Hello Peter,

It is possible but you need to know a bit about coding.

The best way to achieve this is by parsing the JSON that each K2 item provides and use it's elements to populate or manipulate the video player. This can be either a module or a specific template override for your component.

I will have to agree with BBC creating a video player with a K2 content module is much easier.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #115323 by BBC
First link is easy to achieve with K2. Disable Large Item image, move video block under large image block, stretch it sheet wide and it is about all.

Second link is difficult, he need to find some special module that can parse K2 videos that way. I dont know any free, and paid modules i cannot test anymore.

Wide screen black background need to be done as module position, to could remove it with Advanced Module Manager when not needed. (maybe position:absolute and stretch it all the way, i dont know now)

Or maybe whole video block as position:absolute, needs to be tested.