Keyword

Multiple Tag fields [SOLVED]

• Justin Thomas
  • Justin Thomas's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 1 week ago #115403 by Justin Thomas
Multiple Tag fields [SOLVED] was created by Justin Thomas
I have a new client site coming up for devlopment and I would like to have multiple tag fields for this site. The present tagging system is perfect but there is a need for a clear definition of the different types of tag and it would very confusing to have all the tags presented in one "field".

I would like to have 3 fields for the tags. For example:

Tag field 1 - Company types (i.e. SIC code names)
Tag field 2 - Test types
Tag field 3 - Industry standards

This way it is easy for people to search for their relevant information in a data rich site.

I wondered if there was a way to exploit extra fields as tags (with automatic linking, etc), maybe a plugin, etc.

Thank you for any thoughts or alternative methods to achieve this functionality.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 2 months ago #115404 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: Multiple Tag fields
Hello draftvader,

The present tagging system is perfect but there is a need for a clear definition of the different types of tag and it would very confusing to have all the tags presented in one "field".

Do you mean in the frontend or the backend?

If you want the break the tags foreach loop in the frontend you can check the tag ID and display it in the appropriate field. Finally you can create an else statement for any other tags that might be present.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Justin Thomas
More
11 years 1 month ago #115405 by Justin Thomas
Replied by Justin Thomas on topic Re: Multiple Tag fields
Wow, sorry for my delay! I was on holiday with family and have been involved in rebuilding my business (and 3 computers :P )

This is for displaying them in the front-end. I would like to have the ability to "pool" my tags so that they had some logic. I have some sites where you can apply different products, news items and industry standards codes to every item in K2. It would be easier for the customer to understand if they were grouped logically.

• Justin Thomas
More
11 years 3 weeks ago #115406 by Justin Thomas

Krikor Boghossian wrote: Hello draftvader,

The present tagging system is perfect but there is a need for a clear definition of the different types of tag and it would very confusing to have all the tags presented in one "field".

Do you mean in the frontend or the backend?

If you want the break the tags foreach loop in the frontend you can check the tag ID and display it in the appropriate field. Finally you can create an else statement for any other tags that might be present.

This does sound like a temporarily useful work-around. I will have to restrict new tag creation to me only but that is explainable to the client. Please can you provide me with a little more detail on your suggested solution so that I can work with it.

If you could suggest the replacement php code I would be grateful.

Many thanks.

• Justin Thomas
More
11 years 1 week ago #115407 by Justin Thomas
Just to mark this as solved in case anybody else needs the functionality. I have found the solution in a thread from a few years ago.

getk2.org/community/New-to-K2-Ask-here-first/148419-Tagging-extra-fields