Keyword

How to configure K2 for multiple user blogs

More
11 years 2 months ago #115440 by Ryan
Hello,

I am a pretty savvy Joomla user and have been using k2 for a few years... I have a website that has a pretty successful blog using k2 and I have been asked to see if I can add a feature to implement "user blogs"

Basically... I already have user accounts enabled (people can login with facebook) and need to figure out how I can add the ability for them to blog within k2..

Here are the requirements:

1) APPROVED Registered Users will be able to blog into a "community blog" K2 category... (not the main blog category)

2) This new "community blog" k2 category will display all the user blogs / submitted user content

3) Users should ONLY BE ABLE TO SEE & MANAGE their own / blog posts / content within k2

IDEALLY I would be able to quickly feature / select / move user blog posts into the main blog category
- In a nutshell... I want my users to be able to blog and have their posts automatically go into a community blog category (that I can display from a menu) but ALSO for them to be able to see / edit / manage their own blogs (maybe in their k2 user profile / author page?!
- I would then like the ability for me to move / feature / "cherry pick" the best user generated blogs and move them into the main (featured) blog category.

I have been reading a lot about this and people are suggesting either Easyblog or k2... Seeing as my current blog setup is on k2 i'd really like to keep it that way and stay on k2.

I currently have a single k2 category called "blog" and would like some advice on how to configure k2 to work with multiple user blogs.

I read somewhere that you can create a new k2 category (maybe call it 'user blogs") and set the permissions in either k2 or joomla for that k2 category so that users can submit and/or edit their own content....

Has anyone made a Joomla site with k2 that supports user blogging? Any suggestions / configuration notes / tips would be VERY helpful to me.

Thanks again... Hoping k2 will be the answer to my problems!

Ryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 2 months ago #115441 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: How to configure K2 for multiple user blogs
Hello Ryan,

You need to setup front end editing for this to work.
Also you need to properly configure your K2 User Groups (not Joomla! groups) and their permissions.

A quick how to guide can be found here.
getk2.org/documentation/tips-a-tricks/201-allowing-users-to-submit-content

Your users can access their content through the links provided by the K2 User module.
Make sure though that your template has the edit link and can allow the user to edit items.
(You can see how the default K2 template does that for reference.)

Finally you can create menu items for your bloggers page using the K2 User Page (blog) menu type.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.