Keyword

K2 RSS feed...does it work with Feedblitz?

• Steve Borchert
  • Steve Borchert's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 2 months ago #115780 by Steve Borchert
K2 RSS feed...does it work with Feedblitz? was created by Steve Borchert
I am having trouble getting the blog feed to work correctly for a client that we migrated over from Wordpress.

We were originally trying to get it to pull in through feedburner (before they are no longer) and although it brought the content in, it did not bring any of the images in - as feedburner was putting it's url in place of the website url. The website is www.pureandsimpleorganizing.com

We are looking into Feedblitz or Feedgator at this point, as the RSS feed and subscribers is a big part of her business.

Is one better than the other? Or is there something that works better than these? We really like what the K2 component offers in setting a up a blog style, but need to figure out this last part.

Any help would be very appreciated!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 2 months ago #115781 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: K2 RSS feed...does it work with Feedblitz?
Feedgator is an aggregator component so I don't think it will help you.

Unlike WP Joomla! offers the RSS of the menu item so if in your default menu item you don't output any items the feed will appear broken.

One quick fix is creating a menu item towards all categories in a hidden menu and using that feed instead of the home page's.

PS. You can manipulate the elements of the feed though K2's parameters.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Steve Borchert
More
11 years 2 months ago #115782 by Steve Borchert
Replied by Steve Borchert on topic Re: K2 RSS feed...does it work with Feedblitz?
Thank you for the reply.

We had set up her blog to be the menu item, like you mentioned and should encompasses all of categories. The issue I was having was that the feed worked, as you could see the content and title stuff brought in, BUT the K2 images did not populate into the feed. Those showed missing image error code instead of the images.

Here is the feedburner blog feed we set up to show you what I mean - feeds.feedburner.com/PureAndSimpleBlog

If you could please advise how I could get the images to pull in correctly, or if you have any experience with FeedBlitz, as she is looking to sign up with them for their free trial to see if that works better.

We really like the blog setup K2 offers and just need to figure this last piece out. We had tried using JoomBlog when building the site and believe that offered more options on the feed, but we just didn't like the design of it and liked the k2 setup better. Your help is very much appreciated.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 2 months ago #115783 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: K2 RSS feed...does it work with Feedblitz?
From what I can see you are using an outdated version of K2 (2.5.7).

The current version is 2.6.7 I strongly suggest you upgrade to the latest version.
You might need to adjust your template overrides a bit though. (Surely register and profile.php and the mod_k2_user files)

I have checked multiple sites and they all the feeds work fine.

As for Feedblitz I have'nt used that service, We (and I personally) use Feedburner so I cannot provide you proper feedback.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Steve Borchert
More
11 years 2 months ago #115784 by Steve Borchert
Replied by Steve Borchert on topic Re: K2 RSS feed...does it work with Feedblitz?
Thank you for the clarification and looking into my k2 version.

I reached out to the company I got the template from and they said if I made the update, it would mess up the slider functionality. I am not savvy enough to make the registry, .php, and mod_k2 updates and don't want to pay the $450 it would cost to update the template to a new version - what should I do?

Is this something I could do on my own? Or do i need to find another slider module to work with the k2 update?

Any guidance or recommendation would be appreciated, as I would love if it just worked with feedburner and didn't have to worry about any other feed source.

Thanks!

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
11 years 2 months ago #115785 by Krikor Boghossian
Ok, I can guide you.

You need to backup and setup a dev site. Then upgrade to K2 v.2.6.7

Head on to your template's /html folder and locate register.php and profile.php. Replace these files with the files from the new installation.
Use the same method for mod_k2_user.

The paths and method is described in this post
getk2.org/documentation/tutorials/174-templating-with-k2-and-the-concepts-of-sub-templates

If all went well you might need to hire a developer to upgrade just your slider or use develop a new one (1 - hrs of work for an experienced developer). It might not need upgrading at all.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---