Keyword

extra fields in front end!! Need to select cat

More
11 years 4 weeks ago #117839 by Dana
I am having an issue when I try to add an item from the front end I keep getting a message that states "Please select a category first to retrieve its related "Extra Fields"" I cannot add any items at this point because it will not allow me to select a category. Please give guidance on what I need to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Yiota
  • Visitor
11 years 4 weeks ago #117840 by Yiota
Hello Dana,

When you select to add an item what do you see in the Category selection field, the one under the title? Can you browse to specific categories or there is one pre-selected?
What are the options you have set in the K2 User Group as far as the category filtering is concerned?
The category you are trying to add an item to does it have Extra Fields assigned to it?

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #117841 by Dana
Sorry for the delay, The user group I made is Team Coaches and it set like the example Jpeg Team Coaches, the user I am using is ch53e24 like the example User Jpeg, An example of it is shown with the extra fields shown in backend example backendexampe Jpeg, when I do it from the frontend I can select a category, however it just comes up with message to select a category over and over again will not allow me to go any further example error Jpeg. The category does have extra fields.

• Yiota
  • Visitor
11 years 2 weeks ago #117842 by Yiota
Could you tell me the setup for this user group the user ch53e24 is assigned to?

Thank you.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #117843 by Dana
The setup for the user group team coaches is attached in the picture. ch53e24 user is assigned to this group.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #117844 by Dana
Ok the file type I was trying to upload wasn't working. The extra fields shown in the backend example is working can make article no problem. However doesn't work in the front end just keeps getting select category message.

error message (backend.jpg)
backend category selection (backendexample.jpg)
user group (teamcoaches.jpg)
user ch53e24 (user.jpg)

Group name

Assign permissions for this group
Post comments yes
Front-end item editing yes
Add items Yes
Edit own items Yes
Edit any item no
Publish items yes
Allow editing of already published items yes
Attachments:

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #117845 by Dana
Ok not sure if this even has anything to do with the extra fields at all, I have removed all the extra fields, and extra field groups and just trying to publish an item from the frontend and it doesn't work. The message select a category to display extra fields is there but I have no extra fields. When I hit save to the article it just returns to start adding and item again without creating the one I just hit save on.

More
11 years 2 weeks ago #117846 by Dana
Could this have anything to do with a certain browser, or editor I am using??

• Yiota
  • Visitor
11 years 2 weeks ago #117847 by Yiota
This behavior sounds more like you are having Javascipt conflicts. You could check with a browser tool like Firebug to see what are the possible errors you have when accessing the frontend editing popup.

• Mohamed Abdelaziz
  • Platinum Member
  • Joomla Developer
More
11 years 2 weeks ago #117848 by Mohamed Abdelaziz
Replied by Mohamed Abdelaziz on topic Re: extra fields in front end!! Need to select cat
I guess that you are adding item to a category which you have assigned an extra fields group, which you have deleted later, if this scenario is true, edit the category and remove the assigned group.

Multiple Extra Fields Groups for K2
AutoMeta for K2
Chained Fields for K2
More K2 Extensions In My Extensions Store