Keyword

K2 vs. Gantry

• Rebecca Fouts
  • Rebecca Fouts's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 2 hours ago #118970 by Rebecca Fouts
K2 vs. Gantry was created by Rebecca Fouts
I realize this is probably a dumb question, but could someone explain to me what the difference is in:

K2
Gantry

Or maybe exactly what they do?

I am VERY VERY new to web building. And a member of our team chose our new template, which came with K2 and Gantry. I am trying to understand exactly what K2 is doing - and what the Gantry Framework is doing so that I know where to ask questions as I come across them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #118971 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Re: K2 vs. Gantry
The Gantry Framework is something that controls aspects of your Joomla! template. Stuff like how many columns to show in the homepage, which module positions will appear on mobile etc. You can't create content with Gantry, you simply control the layout of your site's template.

K2 on the other hand is a Joomla! extension for managing content. Think of it a super-charged version of the default content management utility of Joomla!. K2 sits "in parallel" to Joomla's content articles, they don't relate to each other. If you write an article in Joomla, you only get to add a title, your article's body, select the category it belongs, the author and add some tags (if you are in Joomla 3.x). With K2, you have all that plus the option to have an "article image" which is autoresized upon upload to fit your content, you can have image galleries, videos, attachments, additional form fields per category or globally (called "extra fields") and lots more, like better content organization and presentation, more control of what is shown in the frontend per category or per tag etc. etc.

Consider K2 as a content management system within Joomla.

For more, I suggest you follow the 10-part video tutorial here: getk2.org/documentation/k2class2012

Welcome to the K2 Community! :)

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.