Keyword

k2 is amazing but my sites are extremely slow!

• Reynaldo
  • Reynaldo's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 11 months ago #118984 by Reynaldo
hello! I am a designer with little programming knowledge. I've been working for my clients sites in Joomla for 4 years. When I learned of k2 immediately assumed as the answer to all my prayers in Joomla!

But after enjoying it for several months to implement k2 in several of the sites of my clients I've encountered the same problem: websites extremely slow! servers working at the top of their activity capacity. My servers providers, which are different, agree that k2 demands much database activity. I have the impression that everything has to do with who k2 manage cache memory.

I'm using J2.5 with Gantry and Rockettheme templates (and its extensions as Rokgallery, roksprocket..). the sites of my clients have an average of 500 k2 items, all with images and extra fields and between 15 and 30 categories. various k2 conent modules...

Any ideas?? my clients are getting desperate. What im doing wrong?
Will appreciate your comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 11 months ago #118985 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: k2 is amazing but my sites are extremely slow!
Hello Reynaldo,

Have you checked your error logs for any PHP errors? These could be slowing down your sites. Also are your installations up to date? Finally are you sure about your server setup, is it built for Joomla! sites, have selected the correct VPS for the amount of traffic each site has?

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
10 years 11 months ago #118986 by Dave
Sorry to hear about your issues. I'm dealing with a serious meltdown on a large site using K2 as well.

I see lots of these posts and no one ever tells it straight.

The problem with K2 IS the extra fields function. Specifically, using the multi select, dropdown and even the radio buttons (radio is the best of the selection choices)

Extra fields can be used as text pretty well.

As a quick fix, deactivate the extra fields until you are ready to update the content and turn it back off. Its the only way.

You will see that with those turned off, its a whole new ball game.

Sorry you got caught in that trap. It sucks, I know.

I'm working on an independent form to post predefined selections to the "text field" version of the extra field. It may be the only way to get around this mess because it took months to populate K2 and can't go back now.

Hope this helps