Keyword

[SOLVED] Where am I going wrong? Children categories

• Anne Marie Rasmussen
  • Anne Marie Rasmussen's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 11 months ago #119105 by Anne Marie Rasmussen
[SOLVED] Where am I going wrong? Children categories was created by Anne Marie Rasmussen
Hi,

I am trying to set up a directory type site using K2. I want all items to display in children categories but can't get it set up properly. I've turned on and off just about every setting and just can't get it to work the way I want it. And googled until I'm sick of it. Basically I'm getting the item on the parent Category page where I do not want it. You can see in the example at directory.universalcavaliermagazine.com/countries The item below Australia I want only to display in the child category Canada not on that page. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if you have suggestions for a better way to set this up even better!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 11 months ago #119106 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: Where am I going wrong? Children categories
Hell Anne Marie,

Have you tried the Catalog mode setting? Try this setting on your parent category and make sure this category is not inheriting its settings from another category.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Anne Marie Rasmussen
More
10 years 11 months ago #119107 by Anne Marie Rasmussen
Replied by Anne Marie Rasmussen on topic Re: Where am I going wrong? Children categories
Thank you that did it! I tried setting the child categories in catalog mode but obviously never did with the parent category.

• Anne Marie Rasmussen
More
10 years 11 months ago #119108 by Anne Marie Rasmussen
Replied by Anne Marie Rasmussen on topic Re: [SOLVED] Where am I going wrong? Children categories
OK new problem. Say I have a 3 tiers in Categories ie Countries>Canada>Nova Scotia and I only want the items to appear in Nova Scotia how do I go about doing that? I've set both Countries and Canada in Catalog mode but the items are showing in both Canada and Nova Scotia. Am I just missing a setting or can't it be done?

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 11 months ago #119109 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: [SOLVED] Where am I going wrong? Children categories
You should check your category inheritance. If a category inherits its settings from another category its settings will be overriden.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Anne Marie Rasmussen
More
10 years 11 months ago #119110 by Anne Marie Rasmussen
Replied by Anne Marie Rasmussen on topic Re: [SOLVED] Where am I going wrong? Children categories
Hi,

I've found out where the problem was. I was using an additional category component which seemed to be interfering unless I set the bottom category as an additional category. Since I decided I wasn't going to use it anyway I've removed it and problem is now solved. Thx!