Keyword

Odd behavior from breadcrumbs

• Anne Marie Rasmussen
  • Anne Marie Rasmussen's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 11 months ago #119333 by Anne Marie Rasmussen
Odd behavior from breadcrumbs was created by Anne Marie Rasmussen
I have searched and read about the issues of the breadcrumb module and K2 but the problem I'm having does not seem to be covered and thought I'd see if anyone had a fix for it. I've tried the K2 Tools module but that doesn't work for me as it is putting the categories in the breadcrumb not the menu items.

This is what is happening. I have a parent menu item which is Browse by Countries, then a child category for each specific countries eg USA or Canada and under that subcategories for States or Provinces. Everything works right until I get to lowest child category. It is dropping the specific country in the breadcrumb so instead of getting Home/Browse By Country/Canada/Nova Scotia I am getting Home/Browse By Country/Nova Scotia, even though on the previous page the breadcrumb would read Home/Browse By Country/Canada.

Does anyone know why this is happening and if it is easily fixable?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 11 months ago #119334 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: Odd behavior from breadcrumbs
Hello Anne Marie,

Is the Canada part mapped in a menu item or is it just a K2 category?

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Anne Marie Rasmussen
More
10 years 11 months ago #119335 by Anne Marie Rasmussen
Replied by Anne Marie Rasmussen on topic Re: Odd behavior from breadcrumbs
The only menu item is Browse By Country. Everything under that is a K2 Category or item. So it would make sense if only Browse By Country was showing but since it is picking up and adding in the K2 Categories and the item pages to the breadcrumb why is it dropping the specific country category when it goes lower?

I don't really want to have to add everything into a menu as this could end up having a lot of categories, children categories and items. I'll just have to live with the breadcrumbs working like that and maybe add in a back button.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 11 months ago #119336 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: Odd behavior from breadcrumbs
Is Browse By Country a parent category of Canada and Nova Scotia?

PS. Mapping your content in menu items is considered a 'best practise'. You might be missing on SEO benefits and surely on control over modules.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Anne Marie Rasmussen
More
10 years 11 months ago #119337 by Anne Marie Rasmussen
Replied by Anne Marie Rasmussen on topic Re: Odd behavior from breadcrumbs
Browse by Country is the parent category of all; each individual country will be a child category and then under that some individual countries will be broken into their States,Provinces and Regions (child categories of those). Not sure if that makes sense ....

While it may be better for SEO to do menu items for each category and item it may not be realistic the way I'm laying this out. I'd be happy for suggestions for better ways to lay it out as I've never tried to build a site like this before. I have the site at directory.universalcavaliermagazine.com