Keyword

New to K2 - not seeing my articles on the site...

• Bruce Elkwood
  • Bruce Elkwood's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 11 months ago - 10 years 11 months ago #119587 by Bruce Elkwood
Hi,

I believe K2 will be useful - I'd like to give a chance. But first I have to get it to work.

I've installed K2 onto my Joomla 2.5 site which is a fairly large site. I imported the content, including 151 articles and a very complex category structure.

I see now that I can see/edit articles in either the old Joomla way or the K2 way, which, I think, means that there are two copies of the articles. Is there also 2 copies of the categories?

If so, I have questions:

1.) I can only see the old articles on the site (not the newly edited articles in K2.) What must I do to get the K2 articles to show on the site?

2.) When I am satisfied that everything has been successfully moved to K2 should I trash all the old articles? Should I trash the old categories?

3.) Where can I find a complete guide to setting up Parameters?

4.) (optional) What are the main features, or your favorite features, that will make me happy I chose to install K2?

Thank you,
Bruce

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mohamed Abdelaziz
  • Platinum Member
  • Joomla Developer
More
10 years 11 months ago #119588 by Mohamed Abdelaziz
Replied by Mohamed Abdelaziz on topic Re: New to K2 - not seeing my articles on the site...
Hi Bruce,

1) To see the K2 articles (items), you need to create a K2 menu item, either categories or latest items menu for example.

2) You can trash the old articles and categories after getting K2 works well, as long as you don't need them any more, backup the website before trashing them anyway.
Trashing them from Joomla article manager will not affect K2 items at all.

3) I don't know where to find a complete guide for the parameters setup, but you can find good information in the documentation and the forums.

4) From my point of view, main features that makes K2 useful are: custom templates, extra fields and tags.

Multiple Extra Fields Groups for K2
AutoMeta for K2
Chained Fields for K2
More K2 Extensions In My Extensions Store

• Bruce Elkwood
  • Bruce Elkwood's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 11 months ago #119589 by Bruce Elkwood
Replied by Bruce Elkwood on topic Re: New to K2 - not seeing my articles on the site...
Hello Mohammed,

Thank you once more for your assistance. (I wrote back to you but now I don't see the message.)

I am having trouble locating just where to crerate a K2 menu item. From the Control Panel I cannot see where to create it.

I am surprised the documentation does not cover this.

Once again, I am very grateful for your assistance. Thank you,
Bruce

• Mohamed Abdelaziz
  • Platinum Member
  • Joomla Developer
More
10 years 11 months ago #119590 by Mohamed Abdelaziz
Replied by Mohamed Abdelaziz on topic Re: New to K2 - not seeing my articles on the site...
Hello Bruce,

Creating a menu item is a general Joomla topic, I think this why it is not covered in the documentation.

This small tutorial can help you to create it: docs.joomla.org/Adding_a_new_menu_item

Just take care to choose one of the K2 menu types in step 5.

Multiple Extra Fields Groups for K2
AutoMeta for K2
Chained Fields for K2
More K2 Extensions In My Extensions Store

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 11 months ago #119591 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: New to K2 - not seeing my articles on the site...
Hello Bruce,

These videos will definitely help you get started.
getk2.org/documentation/k2class2012

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)