Keyword

Duplicate pages with SEF settings

More
10 years 9 months ago #122768 by Leo
Hi guys,

I'm having an issue with page duplicates when SEF settings are enabled.

If you go to www.google.co.uk/webhp?tab=ww&ei=fpbGUtrIG8SHhQew-YFY&ved=0CBYQ1S4#q=kingston+college+contact&safe=active you will see that the top result is /content/1 and is titled Contact Us - however this is not the real Contact page, it is a duplicate of our News page with different formatting. The real contact page is the 3rd result down /contact. The same goes if you google Kingston College News, again the content/1 page appears in the top 3 results with a new title along side the real 'News' page.

When disabling SEF, the content/.. pages no longer exist, but I also lose the tidy URLs that I would like to keep. Is there anyway I can get the content/1 page to not appear in the search results without disabling SEF? It also seems to be the only category ID appearing on the results page which I found strange.

Thanks in advance!

Leo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 9 months ago #122769 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: Duplicate pages with SEF settings
Hello Leo,

Is there any link towards /content/1 in your site?
Like all other CMS's you can hack URLs in Joomla!

This means that several combinations of URLs will provide results. Why that url was crawled is beyond me since neither its title nor its metadata contain any references to contact.

What you can do to improve your SEO ratings is to to provide a sitemap and block spiders or use a canonical link for K2 (K2 plugin).

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.