Keyword

K2 Template help?

• Maureen Dunlap
  • Maureen Dunlap's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #123351 by Maureen Dunlap
K2 Template help? was created by Maureen Dunlap
I'm fairly new to Joomla and K2, but have been "living" in the program for the last few months. Bear with me, as I'm not sure I'm even using the right terminology for what I'm trying to do.

I want to create a new template in the admin area for a particular type of k2 item. We are a learning development company and I have created a prototype that my boss likes. See attached.

This is basically one long k2 item with a module on the left position, and utilizes the Bootstrap scrollspy component, so the CSS and coding is somewhat tricky.

So our content providers are non-technical, and I'd like them to be able to log in and fill in the back-end editor with the sections that correlate to the menu. All the taxonomy is the same, so I was hoping a template could be created for them to not have to worry about touching any HTML or CSS code that could corrupt the scrollspy.

My vision would be to have fields to fill in for the various sections, but behind the scenes they would all be concatenated into the fulltext field of the k2 item.

Also any subsequent editing of the item would bring up the same form.

We do have BreezingForms, so that is an option. But I'm wondering if a K2 template could be created for this as an alternate type of k2 item.

Any adivice would be appreciated!

Attachment not found

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Yiota
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #123352 by Yiota
Replied by Yiota on topic Re: K2 Template help?
Hello Maureen,

An easy setup for what you need, and without any backend modifications (some will be needed for the frontend), is to choose for the Additional Info you need to put into the fulltext to be separate extra fields, each one with its own header and text-editor so your users can fill them up easily in the backend or the frontend editing.

• Maureen Dunlap
More
10 years 8 months ago #123353 by Maureen Dunlap
Replied by Maureen Dunlap on topic Re: K2 Template help?
Thank you, Yiouta!

I was hoping that might be possible.

Can the extra fields editors be brought forward instead of being in a tab behind the normal editor? It would be great to create a custom admin template.

I did find this post yesterday:

getk2.org/documentation/tips-a-tricks/221-custom-admin-templates-and-calling-specific-extra-field-data

But when I tried to implement it, I got this error
An error has occurred.
1146 Table 'joomla3.e758z_templates_menu' doesn't exist SQL=SELECT template FROM e758z_templates_menu WHERE client_id = 0 AND menuid = 0

It could be those instructions were for Joomla 2.x as it is about 2 years old. I am using Joomla 3. Also the links in the post gave a 404.

Thanks again!

• Yiota
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #123354 by Yiota
I'm afraid that you cannot bring them forward without modifying the K2 backend functionality.

This document above just hides specific extrafields from the frontend editing form. I don't think that it is what you need though.

There is the option to create a K2 plugin which will add the functionality you can have with the extra fields and show it under the content tab. For this you will have to ask from a developer to help you since it will be a custom task.

A starting point for a K2 plugin is this: getk2.org/extend/extensions/90-example-k2-plugin-for-developers

• Maureen Dunlap
More
10 years 8 months ago #123355 by Maureen Dunlap
Replied by Maureen Dunlap on topic Re: K2 Template help?
Fantastic! Thanks, just downloaded that and I'll see what happens.

• Yiota
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #123356 by Yiota
You are welcome.