Keyword

category params are not inherited in latest k2/J

• gaker
  • gaker's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #124091 by gaker
Hello,

Iam using latest Joomla,latest K2 and latest Additional categories.

I am building products catalog with few access paths to specific articles - each article is product page.

I am having trouble with inheriting category parameters. I am creating menu links which are set to get these params from categories.

My categories classifictation is based on manufacturer firstly - this is K2 base category,and additional categories are categories like usage, market, etc.

I would like to create links basing on manufacturer and other links based on market and other classification. But I have problem with propper inheriting parameters:
[Articles from category listing is not configured properly - few fields like category, author are shown nevertheless I have disabled it in category which I am inherting.]
K2 category set in normal 'category' field in itemformin backend.

Manufacturers:
works good, every inherits on Manufacturers, but in the other case:

Market
--non EU
----Asia
----Americas

--EU
----West
----East
And when I am trying to change inheriting method - e.g. inheriting params to set it in West category from EU category to West inherits from Market it doesn't work.

Is there anybody knows similar problem ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Yiota
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #124092 by Yiota
I lost you there a bit. You need "West" category to inherit from EU or Market?

• gaker
More
10 years 8 months ago #124093 by gaker
best would be from EU, which (EU) inherits after Market.

But I have read about only one level inheriting?

thank you

• gaker
More
10 years 8 months ago #124094 by gaker
is someone can help?

• gaker
More
10 years 8 months ago #124095 by gaker
Wow, I have one addtional info:

When I am using K2 additonal categories I can overwrite all other categories by only one setting in naive(choosed in article editform ) category. I havent seen any other way to customize views in other categories :(

Maybe there is any other omponent for bigger customizations? I would like to publish different parts of article by customizing article/category params... :(

• Yiota
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #124096 by Yiota
If your EU category inherits its parameters from the Market category then all of the EU's subcategories will have to inherit from the Market category as well. You cannot set a category that is already inheriting its own parameters from another one to be the one that other will inherit their parameters from. (I hope that made sense to you).

If you could place an example for your last question would be most helpful.

Thank you.

• gaker
More
10 years 8 months ago #124097 by gaker
Thank you for your answer Mr Yiota
Its important for me, so I will remember this :))

unfortuately,
I have problems with this all time - I am thinking that works without any order for egzample:

I have been overwriiten states article when changed params in Joomla native category yesterday.

today I hav problems with this, and I have to overwrite by a specfic article setting :(

Is there any document where inheritance is descripted? For e.g. what will happen If I set inheriting but I will make a changes in article or category( which inherits from any on higher lvel)

thank yoiu

More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #124098 by Lefteris
The levels of inheritance goes like this:

First, lower, is the category inheritance for all listing and items.
If you put any parameters in an item then they will prevail over the category's for this item.
Something similar with the item's inheritance is the menu inheritance which applies mostly to listings of multiple categories and overrides the settings of the category.

So your base is the category settings, then the item's - menu to k2 multiple categories settings override the category's.

You can read getk2.org/documentation/tutorials/174-templating-with-k2-and-the-concepts-of-sub-templates and also
nuevvo.com/blog/item/84-k2-inheritance-sub-templating

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)