Keyword

How to add a line of source code for the rss feeds

• Sean Carney
  • Sean Carney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #124103 by Sean Carney
I am having problems where I am unable to use the Joomla News Feed Manager to bring in feeds to one of my sites from another of my sites. The feeds do not display on the page. I am not having this problem with rss feeds from my EasyBlog pages.

I actually did find something very significant about the difference between the feeds that are being generated by K2 and the Feeds that are being generated by EasyBlog. The K2 feeds are missing a line of code that the EasyBlog feeds contain.

That line of code is:
www.drcarney.com/media/jbtype/css/font-awesome.css"?>
<rss version="2.0" href="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">www.w3.org/2005/Atom">

A typical url that is not working is as follows:
www.drcarney.com/help/information/people-of-interest?format=feed
but they also do not work if I add "&type=rss" to the end of the string.

Here is the EasyBlog source:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="www.drcarney.com/media/jbtype/css/font-awesome.css"?>
<?xml-stylesheet href="/media/system/css/modal.css"?>
<rss version="2.0" href="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">www.w3.org/2005/Atom">

A typical url that is working is as follows:
www.drcarney.com/blog/latest?format=feed&type=rss

The site where I am trying to bring the feeds into is located at starch-smart.com/feed

If somebody could help me to make these K2 feeds display on my pages I would be very grateful!

Thank you, Sean Carney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Yiota
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #124104 by Yiota
I'm sorry but I don't see a difference between the two feeds. Both seem to be working.

www.drcarney.com/blog/latest?format=feed&type=rss

• Sean Carney
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #124105 by Sean Carney
Yes, they both show the same content. but, neither of them will work with Joomla newsfeeds.

I am using Joomla 3.1.16
I create a New feed in the News Feed Manager
I select a K2 RSS feed from my website
The News Feed Links is BROKEN

If I create a news feed with one of my EasyBlog RSS urls the news feed works!

The difference is outlined in the first message. Here is what seems to be missing:
starch-smart.com/feed

Here you will see two links. One to a K2 generated feed and the other to an EasyBlog generated feed.

K2 problem feed:
starch-smart.com/feed/51-drcarney-com-help

Click on DrCarney.com Help to see the following page:
starch-smart.com/feed/51-drcarney-com-help

Then click on "People of Interest" and you will see that the feed does not resolve. If you click on the string
you will see that the xml displays but the feed does not display nicely in the browser.

This is trying to display the RSS feed from this page:
www.drcarney.com/help/information/people-of-interest

EasyBlog good feed:
starch-smart.com/feed/50-drcarney-com-blog-posts

then click on "DrCarney.com Latest Blog Entries" and you will see a beautifully formatted RSS feed.

So again

K2 Bad:
starch-smart.com/feed/51-drcarney-com-help/2-people-of-interest

EasyBlog Good:
starch-smart.com/feed/recent-dr-carney-blogs

I hope this helps to clarify the problem better.

Thank you, Sean Carney

• Yiota
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #124106 by Yiota
It seems that the K2 feed is not valid because it contains invalid HTML elements in the text like <em> tags.
Check your feed through here: validator.w3.org/feed/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.drcarney.com%2Fhelp%2Finformation%2Fpeople-of-interest%3Fformat%3Dfeed and see what is wrong.

Try to disable for a while the introtext from the feed and check if this is actually the case.

• Sean Carney
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 7 months ago - 10 years 7 months ago #124107 by Sean Carney
Thank you for your reply. You are certainly onto something. Thank you for looking. I just changed the RSS Feeds settings as follows:

Item Introtext = Hide
Item Fulltext = Show

Now all the error messages with the <em> tags disappeared. So, I guess the RSS feeds will not work as long as there is Introtext?

And, I do still have a few more error messages that I do not understand.

This feed is valid, but interoperability with the widest range of feed readers could be improved by implementing the following recommendations.
line 9, column 146: Self reference doesn't match document location [help]
... -of-interest?format=feed&amp;type=rss"/>
^

and from line 09:

<atom:link rel="self" type="application/rss+xml" href="www.drcarney.com/help/information/people-of-interest?format=feed&type=rss"/>

Do you know what I should do about this?

BTW, the Joomla feed link works now except that no text is displaying at all except for one of the K2 Items. Which is only showing the text AFTER the Read More link.

starch-smart.com/feed/51-drcarney-com-help/2-people-of-interest

Thank you!!
Sean

• Yiota
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #124108 by Yiota
The rss feed will work as long as there are no invalid html elements in the text. This includes both introtext and fulltext.

These other messages do you also get them from the validator of the same rss feed before or after you disabled the introtext?

• Sean Carney
  • Premium Member
More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #124109 by Sean Carney
Krish,
Thank you so much for all your help. I am on the right track. All the feeds are working well except that I have one that is broken. I know that the problem must be something in the introtext. Since I have set my RSS Feed parameters on the content source side to hide everything except the Introtext and the item image.

The feed will work when I hide the introtext and not work which i make the introtext visible.

Do you know of any easy way to determine what invalid HTML elements might be in the text?

Thank you, Sean Carney
PS. The url in question is at www.starch-smart.com/feed/drcarney-com-help/2-people-of-interest and is not working now because I have the introtext on. you can see the link at www.starch-smart.com/feed/drcarney-com-help