Keyword

problem with huge image cache folder

• davicod
  • davicod's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 8 months ago #124385 by davicod
problem with huge image cache folder was created by davicod
I have read various topics here about the images cache folder.
I have problem with this folder of one of my sites. It is a big site with thousands of articles and i have came up with a cache folder of 10GB. I have a hard time even to access its listing and i have to exclude it in order to make a backup using akeeba backup.
I dont know how to handle this folder anymore.

Is it possible to provide us with some tools like removal of unused images or change of the quality of the images?
Do you have any suggestions of how can i reduce the size of this folder?
Thanks in advance
Yorgos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Yiota
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #124386 by Yiota
Replied by Yiota on topic Re: problem with huge image cache folder
You can start by removing all source images that are uploaded in media/k2/items/src folder. You can remove all the contents of this folder.

I'm afraid that there are no tools that I know of that could help you get rid of the unused images since there is no way to now which are the unused images. The images are not saved in database so you can cross check that.

If you are absolutely sure that one or more sizes are not being used anywhere in your site, you can remove them from the cache folder as well or even better move them in a backup folder in case sometime in the future you will need them.

• davicod
  • davicod's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 7 months ago #124387 by davicod
Replied by davicod on topic Re: problem with huge image cache folder
Thx for your reply.
I empty the src folder from time to time but the cache folder is the problem.
If there is any chance that you change the way k2 handles article images in the future, i would like to make some suggestion from my experience as a k2 user:

- Create a tool that can modify images in the cache folder (like change of dimentions or quality)
- Create a tool that can identifly unused images and delete them
- Automatically save images in different folders every month
- Store the Large version of the image into the cache folder and the rest of the sizes into a temp folder.
Whenever an image is needed, the system can check if there are all the versions in the temp folder otherwise it will create it on demand. This way we can safely delete the contents of the temp folder from time to time so we dont spend space for images that nobody sees for years. It may add a little more load to the server but on the other hand it will free up a lot of space.
- Let us have a list of default images. Sometimes the same image is used in many articles. Now every use of the same images creates 6 separate versions of it. Images on that default list can use the same versions everytime.

I believe that K2 is an excellent tool for all of us that we work with CMS and the image management system is the only big problem i have encountered so far.
I will be glad to see it improved.
Thanks for your time
Yorgos

• Yiota
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #124388 by Yiota
Replied by Yiota on topic Re: problem with huge image cache folder
Thank you for your suggestions and feedback on this @yorgos. We will take them into consideration.

• Voiceconnect Internet Solutions
  • Voiceconnect Internet Solutions's Avatar
More
10 years 1 month ago #124389 by Voiceconnect Internet Solutions
Replied by Voiceconnect Internet Solutions on topic Re: problem with huge image cache folder
i would also like some tools improvement on the image handling cleaning space - thanks

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
10 years 1 month ago #124390 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Re: problem with huge image cache folder
Hello,

You can post feature requests for version 3 here: github.com/joomlaworks/k2-v3-dev-build/issues

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)